Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cabin

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello and first let me say I am new to this forum and from what I have read, there is some great people here with some good advice.

Here is the point of my question. My wife and I decided we would like to get a boat for us and our 3 kids to enjoy. We have had access to a boat in the past but I have never owned one. My boating experience is limited. I am a mechanic by trade and mechanically I am very good. Wood working, I am ok but not experienced with fiberglass.

The boat in question is a 1985 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cruiser. The price is right. (free). Here is what is wrong with the boat.

The circulation pump on the Chevrolet 5.0 V8 is bad. Was told this by the previous owner but not sure what kind of bad it is. It could be leaking, It could not pump, It could be noisy.
The starter is dead on the engine.
I have not started the engine but am told it is good other than the pump. It looks ok and the oil is clean.

Now the big one. The floor is completely rotten. I was able to rip up the floor in chunks around the ski locker (if it has a ski locker or is this just a hole?). I was able to gain access to the stringers between the drivers and passenger seats. They look ok from what I can see. I tapped them with a hammer and the feel solid. I have not drilled into them because as I mentioned, I am not a fiberglass guy and don't want to break the seal on the stringers if they are good.
Some of the plywood cross races look a bit rough. The boat has been sitting outside for the last 4 years with no top or cover on it. It had water in the hull which I have since drained. We are in a desert area so we do not get tons of rain like other parts of the country but we do get some through the winter months. I am hoping that the deck is all that needs to be replaced along with the cross braces as needed.

I am hoping I can replace the deck with new plywood. Seal it, perhaps learn how to work with fiberglass a bit and glass the top layer and then roll on some gel coat and call it good. I know I over simplified it but you get the idea.

The upholstery is also junk. I called around and it will cost me around $1500 to have it recovered.

Just another note, the boat has been in the ocean and lakes before.

What is your guys opinion on this boat. Is it worth the price of admission or should I run from it screaming and find me something closer to lake ready. Money is an issue though so I will be buying something cheep either way and that by its nature may get me a boat that has issues that are covered up or not apparent.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your replies.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

You don't say where you are but, if you are in a winter type area, the block could be cracked. $1500 for a new block. Sorry, if the deck is rotten then the stringers and probably the transom are rotten too. On a 21 footer you're looking at around $4500 to rebuild it yourself. Don't even think about what someone else will charge. All said and done you'll probably be in for close to 10 grand and however much time you can sink into it. If you want to be on the water now, keep looking. Free can be expensive.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

Yep...my guess is it is free so he won't have to pay someone to take it away. When it comes to boats...sometimes the more you pay the cheaper it is.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a good way to check the transom? Anything else I should look for? The floor does seem solid forward into the covered quarters.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

This feels like a free isn't cheap enough scenario, particularly given the effort needed to make it watertight and seaworthy. +1 to Rockyroad's comments, the hull/floor/stringers/transom may just be the start of the project.

Most importantly, as captain you are responsible for the safety of your wife, kids, and anyone else invited to board. Enjoyment comes after that responsibility is squared away. If it isn't, then a boat can turn into a parade of horribles rather quickly. That isn't meant to be condescending at all.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a way to know for sure about the transom and the stringers with out completely removing the floor.

I have no problem removing the floor if I am keeping it, but I have already had several people offer to buy it for between 500 to 900 dollars and it may be harder to sell if I have started the repairs as things have to get worse before they get better. Having no floor will scare lots of people away even though it will be needed to make it sea worthy.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take the money and run!!!! If they are willing to pay that much, let them have it. Normally YOU would pay to get rid of it!!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My comments were based on the model and build year. Bayliners weren't top of the line boats when new, 1985 wasn't some of their better years. History shows when the deck goes, the stringers are gone too, they are covered in fiberglass so they can be deceiving. If you want to check the transom, drill a couple of 1/8" holes about 1/2" deep from the inside out, if the wood chips are light brown and fluffy you might be O.K. if the are black/dark brown and soggy it's toast too.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Rule one... boats rot from the inside out, so if you see rot in the floor it is from some place a lot deeper.
Rule two... the rot all ways starts at the very back around the transom and move forward.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would move on and find another boat that is closer to water ready. Your family will want to go boating - not watch dad do a grueling boat restore project !

pckeen

Commander

If you are looking for a quick cheap way to get a boat into the water, this isn't it. You are looking at a lengthy project to get this boat into the water. What do you actually want to do on the water? Fish? Ski? Quick trips across a lake somewhere? Lengthy cruising over a major lake? There may be other options better than a cuddy cruiser for you.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Run from it.

I owned an 2450 Ciera 85 bayliner and completely seaworthy (turn key boat) was only worth $4500 with a good trailer. I'm in the midst of putting a floor back into a 21' crownline and I have a ton of money just in material (I quit adding it up but at least $1200 just in fiberglass and foam so far), not to mention the ton's of time. It's one of the worst projects I've ever tackled, grinding on that fiberglass just sucks.

If there are any problems with the motor, and it sounds like it might have got hot then you are really in the hole.

You can find something you can turn the key and go for less than what you'll have in materials on this one most likely...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a consensus. Not what you want to hear but this boat is done. If you love it, have plenty of cash to throw at it, and don't care about recovering your costs or having more money in it than its worth then go for it. If finances are an issue run like the wind.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

That isn't a boat ... It is some POSSIBLY good parts (though none are verifiable as good at this time) wrapped in a soggy 1-2 ton load for the local landfill... if it has a decent trailer I'd snap it up... I'd get it running if possible and verify what is good or bad and part it out and haul the old rotted hull away... it would cost about $50 to dump the boat around here and the trailer alone COULD be worth about $400

Then if you have a good V-8 drivetrain you sell the trailer and anything else you scrounge and buy something like this!

http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/3821935358.html

fishrdan

Admiral

I have already had several people offer to buy it for between 500 to 900 dollars

Welcome aboard!

$500-900, that's a good start the "running boat fund".

If you knew the engine and drive were mechanically sound and in good running condition, maybe... But since there are known mechanical problems, and probably unknown mechanical problems, it's most likely going to be a money pit. And a ton of work to get running. Probably cheaper and quicker to save for a running boat.

Oh yeah, how about some pics so we know what you are talking about.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

If you are willing to put 2 years of blood, sweat, tears, and $6,000 into a $3500 boat- go for it. Having found someone to pay $500 - $900 and haul it to the landfill for you is priceless!

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I20130616_142205.jpg20130616_142210.jpg20130616_142254.jpg20130616_142831.jpg20130619_101146.jpg

Here is some pictures of the boat. I don't have any pics of the floor.

fishrdan

Admiral

Is that an OMC engine & drive?..........................

:eek:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would take $1 from someone willing to haul that pile away...

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it is an OMC engine and out drive. Is that good or bad?

I will probably take everyones advice and sell it. Wish it was not so expensive to fix.