Might you know of a brand of Ski pole/post that work well with I/O Wellcraft boats?

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
Might you know of a brand of Ski pole/post that work well with older (such as my 1989, 19.5 foot, V haul, I/O Wellcraft Classic, boat) ?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Might you know of a brand of Ski pole/post that work well with I/O Wellcraft boat

Isn't there an eye on the transom?

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Might you know of a brand of Ski pole/post that work well with I/O Wellcraft boat

well to do it right you are going to have to remove part of the deck to add reinforcements for any other than the tripod type ones, even those may require some additional deck reinforcements. They do have the type that has a strap that goes up to the bow hook(skylon) but they can be cumbersum with all of the rigging required. If its just for skiing I would go with something on the transom, much easier, cheaper, and out of the way.

haulnazz15

Captain

I'd get a ski tow ring in the center of the transom instead of a ski pole. Out of the way, much cheaper, and works just the same.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'd get a ski tow ring in the center of the transom instead of a ski pole. Out of the way, much cheaper, and works just the same.

Transom eyelets will cause the boat to pull to the side when a skier pulls hard. It also makes it harder to start in deep water, harder to get the rope back to a down skier, and easier to run over the rope. The BEST possible spot is right on the center of rotation, which is why ski and wakeboats have the rope mounting point so far forward, in the middle of the boat. Mounting further forward also allows you to have a quick release method for a spotter to cut/disconnect a rope in a hurry if something bad happens.

Depends entirely on the level of the skier though... If you are pulling someone who is an experienced slalom skier who has probably named their ski, they will absolutely notice the above issues! For pulling the kids around every so often, yeah, transom pull is fine.

haulnazz15

Captain

I call BS on the deep-water start. The angle difference from a standard ski pylon to a ski tow ring on the transom is negligible at 60'+, so it will make little difference on getting you out of the hole. While having a center-mounted point does help fight the issue of tracking for the skier pulling hard, inboards do not have an outdrive in the water to combat the pull, either. Secondly, if the skier pulls hard enough and is that concerned about it, he wouldn't be skiing behind an I/O to begin with.