Snagged a 1962 16 ft. Glastron with a 1962 Johnson Super Sea Horse 75 hp

62Ford

Cadet
This forum is awsome for knowledge.

My first boat project is pretty clean. It has been stored inside except for 10 months of it's life. I believe the guy because the boat still has the original cloth looking trim on each side and the fiber is in great shape but somewhat faded. I will post pictures later. I will add the model once I find the data plate.

The reason I chose a 62 is my restored 1962 Ford half ton 4x4 comes out of the paint shop this week and I thought it would look great pulling a 62 boat with matching paint.

It was priced at $500 firm, the seller just finished rebuilding the carb and could not get it to run smooth in transition between slow and fast speed. He said the engine compression is the same on all cyclinders but very low at 35 and he wished he had checked the compression before spending money on the carb.

My first question is should compression be checked cold or hot for comparison to the specs?

My second question is, will I be ruining the value of the boat by painting the exterior a deep sea blue? The original paint is beige. If I am ruining the value, is it in the hundred dollar range or thousand dollar range?

My third question is, how is the best way to go about trading my 62 75 hp for a 1962 40 or so hp? I am 60 plus and tilting a 75 without power tilt is going to be too much for me. I live in Northern Oklahoma where the wind is a factor so I am guessing 40 hp is the least a 16 footer should have.

Dennis

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snagged a 1962 16 ft. Glastron with a 1962 Johnson Super Sea Horse 75 hp

Before restoring or painting, go to classicglastron.com and look up your hull style. This site has information on Glastron hulls from their inception as a brand to at least the 1970s. Some Glastrons do have antique or classic value but others do not. Just because the hull is old does not mean that it automatically has a high value. Same applies to the engine. You may have a gem, you may have just a workable hull.

The most popular colors for Glastron boats are blue and red. Least desirable is the green. Some models like the GT 150 are always in demand while others, like the V153 Futura or V163 are basically just boats.

Run the engine on muffs for a bit using 25-1 ratio oil mix. Then check compression ratio and see if it comes up any. Then, do a decarb treatment. It may just have stuck rings. But, if it stays at 35 PSI on all cylinders, the engine is tired and you need to do a rebuild. Yes, parts are still available for old OMC engines, you just may need to be a bit creative in searching.

40 is going to be too little engine for that hull. You really should stay with the 75. There was a retro-fit power tilt unit for those engines. I suggest you advertise on an owners forum for one. If you find that you absolutely must trade engines, then again, an owners forum may be the way to go. OR: Perhaps you would not object to a CMC power tilt unit for around 400 bucks. This bolts to the transom and the engine bolts to it.

Do not do craigslist or ebay. Your engine is worth basically nothing-- perhaps 100 bucks to a couple of hundred and you will get screwed on these sites.

62Ford

Cadet

Frank, thanks for the advice.

I am not sure but I think I have identifed her as a 1962 Glastron Starflite Deville 154.
I base that on some internet pictures, the paint job, seats, and the very deep stern cover.

Here is a couple pictures, not bad for a 50 plus year old boat.

Dennis

Attachments

• glastron closeup1.JPG
    glastron closeup1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron closeup2.JPG
    glastron closeup2.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron floor.JPG
    glastron floor.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron rear 1.jpg
    glastron rear 1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron right side front.JPG
    glastron right side front.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 0

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have any advice or knowledge on your boat, but it sure is cool looking! I would love to see it behind the 62 ford. I think matching your truck and toys together, is pretty cool. Good luck on your resto of the pair! I used to have a 66 C10 and 66 Shasta camper that were matched pair.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have a very similar 1961 Lonestar running a 62 Evinrude 40 hp. The 75 is Much better suited to your boat. These boats are not very valuable but are head turners at the lake. Painting it will if anything increase her value. I grew up 40 miles west of you in a small town. Learned to ski on Lake Ponca. Your boat runs on a 24:1 fuel mixture not 25:1. You can even use Type MM SAE 30 weight motor oil for your gas, mix 1 qt per 6 gallons. You might have stuck rings since your compression is so low. Put some penetrating oil in the spark plug holes and tap the starter a couple of times let her sit for a day then tap it again. They might free up. If not then as Frank Says a rebuild is in store. I have good parts resource if an when you need it.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

62Ford

Cadet

Wow.... Last time I was on here was in June, it is now Sept. Finally finished up my 62 F100 4x4. Pretty much burnt out in energy and money on that one but now have a totally dependable very cool 4x4 (with ac) as a daily driver in my retirement.

Now turning to the boat. I did a compression check with a new gage, the cyclinders all came in at 95 to 105, cleaned up the electrical, completely redid the electrical for the lights and horn, installed a horn button, horn relay, and light switch. New tires and wheels on trailer, redid the trailer lights wiring and took her out on Sooner Lake for a 2 hour sight seeing tour, had to adjust the idle per the book and low speed tweeks and the girl ran as perfect as anyone can ask. Great cooling stream from the pump which the prev. owner said he replaced this year. Looks like I got very lucky with this one.

I am so burnt out on the pickup restore I put this boat up for sale $900 before I took her out. After buying everything to make her lake ready and testing her I changed it to $1200. If she does not sale and I recover from the burnout, I will repaint her to match the pickup and keep her.

After I got back from the lake, I noticed the weep hole in the lower unit above the prop has some gear oil dripping out, it lost about an ounce onto my driveway in a 5 hour period. I am not sure how much it lost on the road and at the lake. It is clean gear oil so I am assuming it is a seal or o ring. Tonight I will refill the gear box to check how much leaked out, if not much, I will drain a couple ounces and put in a sealer and take it back to the water for a half hour test run and recheck it in the parking lot.

Pretty cool boat, I am looking for a 3 1/8 inch vintage speedometer for her. Check out my truck picture.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Nice find on the Glastron and your truck in sweet too, a great combo for sure. Post up a picture of the "weep hole" not sure if your talking about the little hole that is on the leading edge between the lower unit and the mid section. If so then your driveshaft seal is compromised and will leak water in as well as oil out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you do check the lower unit oil for water intrusion, better yet change it and the seals on the drain and fill screws.

Mark

62Ford

Cadet

Thanks for the advice... I have a tendency to want to avoid work like tearing into equipment but most of the time I have to go the correct, best and most expensive repair route......

I pulled the lower unit. It was obvious the unit had been leaking oil. I pulled the pump, roller bearning and shaft. The bearing seal and the pump seal both have worn a groove around the shaft as can be expected after 50 years. See pictures. It was pretty much as I expected from prior mechanical work on vintage equipment.

I called the local marina but they are open only on the weekend so I went on line and discovered the shafts are obsolete, but when available, cost about $200. I went the alternative route and ordered two stainless steel sleeves. .750 ID by .313 long. (99076 were the Speedi-Sleeve numbers). I also ordered the seals, o rings and gaskets for the bearing and water pump. I have used shaft sleeves 9 times before on shafts in old trucks and JD mowers so I am confident I can repair this leak.

The pump impeller is new as the previous owner stated and the rolller bearing is smooth, the bearing inner "race" on the shaft measures just over 1 inch and is stained with some very minor pitting, I will clean it with emery cloth and reuse it as I did not find a replacement and do not want to have another one machined locally. That is costly and risky because the race has to forced off the shaft. I want to do things right but sometimes you have to weigh the risk to gain. I am confident the bearing will last longer than I will.

Attachments

• shaft grooves.JPG
    shaft grooves.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

if that were my boat i would not paint it use some fine detailing compound and it will shine like new! the value is the original gelcoat

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn`t paint it either. Work with what you have first.
if that were my boat i would not paint it use some fine detailing compound and it will shine like new! the value is the original gelcoat

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most definitely don't paint it, either polish or wet sand and buff the original gel coat or try the vaseline trick. It works great for a long time. I sold a super clean old MFG to a buddy a few years ago that just needed to be buffed and shined a bit, he took a gallon of enamel and in my opinion ruined the boat. There's nothing like original shiny gel coat.
If you paint it to match your truck, they most likely you will be the only one who sees the value in it so long as its paired with that truck.

Its a cool looking old boat, clean it up and enjoy it.