steering wheel has some play in it (cable system)

wpg manitoba

Seaman
The steering wheel has about 1/10 -1/12 of a turn of play. I have always used tillers so this whole steering wheel system is new to me and not sure if this is normal or not. It uses the cable style
Help?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: steering wheel has some play in it (cable system)

The steering wheel has about 1/10 -1/12 of a turn of play. I have always used tillers so this whole steering wheel system is new to me and not sure if this is normal or not. It uses the cable style
Help?

Ayuh,... That don't sound Bad,... It's a boat, not yer car,....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

All of them have a bit of play.

You didn't say what type of boat, but yes, a bit of play is normal for a single cable system. If you have a real need to get rid of most of the slop (i.e. higher performance boat) you can get a rack system with dual cables.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I noticed this just the last couple years on my Lund. I thought the steering system was going. I traded in my old Merc for a new 115hp and they said there was a nut loose that caused it. Check everything and make sure its all tight.

wpg manitoba

Seaman

Everything is tight. I haven't used steering wheels for boats ever so I guess I wasn't sure what is normal and what isn't. Guess I'm used to car steering wheels and any play on a car steering wheel would be cause for concern. It's a 1970 aroliner that I was restoring. The steering wheel and cable came with the boat, they look to be in decent shape.
I am surprised that a lot of older boats still use the pulley and rope system. I'm glad my boat didn't still have that system on it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1961 Lonestar with the Old Pulley and Rope steering and it works Great with No Play in it. I regularly check the pulleys and keep em greased and the pulley is new so I anticipate no issues.