Rattle control for new aluminum floor installation?

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing 3/16" 5052 diamond plate floors in both of my boats and I'm trying to find the best way to keep them quiet. I've heard about caulking but it seems messy and it would be a pain if I ever had to peal the floors out. I've thought about thin foam rubber strips. I also heard polyurea (similar to rhino lining) has good sound deadening properties and I just happen to have equipment and material. I just want to know if there is a end all beat all solution to keep my floors from chattering.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rattle control for new aluminum floor installation?

Adding that much weight to the boat should be sound deadening in itself, provided that the parts are securely fastened and don't vibrate. The extra weight should also reduce your speed enough that you won't hit the waves that hard, thus the dynamic stresses will be reduced as well. Just screw them tight!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I personally would use the 2 part expanding urethane foam for sound deadening and closed end blind rivets for fasteners to secure the decking.

speed_demon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Hewescraft had 5/8" marine plywood so it should only add about 40lbs to the main deck. Compared to the waterlogged floor I pulled out I should be much lighter. I wanted to go 1/8" I would have had to go with 5086 and add additional bracing. My Wooldridge will gain some weight over the 1/2" ply but it should handle it just fine. I'm using large head 3/16" blind aluminum rivets to secure the deck. I like screws better but it will see salt water I don't want to deal with electrolysis.

As far as the polyurea goes I'm a bit curious if it matters if I spray the top or bottom. I'd rather spray the top because it wouldn't be so reflective and also offer more traction.