Buying a Sea Hunt Ultra 211 or a Key West 203fs?

Jkenney9

Cadet
I am a first time boat buyer and am looking for a family/fishing boat. We have narrowed it down to a Key West 203fs with a 150 Yammy or a Sea Hunt Ultra 211 with a 150 or 200 Yammy. What are your thoughts on the better boat?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buying a Sea Hunt Ultra 211 or a Key West 203fs?

I have an old Key west and a newer sea hunt. My next-door neighbor has the ultra, really likes it and it seems to be a good choice--the mostly use it for the young adults, with some fishing. Another friend has a similar key west to the one you are looking at, and likes it, too, for fishing and family.

I think they are equals, and either is exactly what you want for family boating in Charleston. You an never get boat features to line up exactly nor can you know in advance which features are preferable. if you're like me, you get used to what you end up with. Like marriage.

However it looked to me like the KW drained into the bilge, and the sea hunt is a self-bailing deck I think. I prefer the latter but in your case I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker or even a tie breaker.

Your service concerns are all in the motor so they are equals that way.

Get the one that puts you on the water the soonest!

Jkenney9

Cadet

I have an old Key west and a newer sea hunt. My next-door neighbor has the ultra, really likes it and it seems to be a good choice--the mostly use it for the young adults, with some fishing. Another friend has a similar key west to the one you are looking at, and likes it, too, for fishing and family.

I think they are equals, and either is exactly what you want for family boating in Charleston. You an never get boat features to line up exactly nor can you know in advance which features are preferable. if you're like me, you get used to what you end up with. Like marriage.

However it looked to me like the KW drained into the bilge, and the sea hunt is a self-bailing deck I think. I prefer the latter but in your case I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker or even a tie breaker.

Your service concerns are all in the motor so they are equals that way.

Get the one that puts you on the water the soonest!

Great point. The ultra is going to cost me $38k with a 6 year warranty on the engine but a brand new boat. There is at least another 2 years on the KW engine. I think I can get the KW for around $28k but need to add electronics, radio, etc. I will say after all is said and done the cost difference will be about $7k more for a new boat and longer warranty.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

personally I don't think a longer warranty is worth 7000--that's the cost of a new motor

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

SEa Hunt build a decent boat inexpensively and sell a lot of them. Personally, I like the KW better but strictly a matter of choice.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a 150 on the sea hunt is fine for your uses, too.

Guybball

Recruit

I am also a new boat owner and recently purchased the Seahunt 211 Ultra. I looked around for a long time and was really looking at the Roballo CC but it was just too much money the Seahunt gave me everything I was looking for: a boat I can use for fishing, or just cruising all in one boat. I originally was looking at the dual consoles but not really a good option for fishing. The Seahunt is fast and the 150 is very quite and efficient. I really love it. Just the other day I was out on the water and saw 5 other Seahunts. A very popular boat, and did I mention it has a porta potty. Good luck with your decision. Btw are you getting the Garmin 751s with that price?

Jkenney9

Cadet

I am also a new boat owner and recently purchased the Seahunt 211 Ultra. I looked around for a long time and was really looking at the Roballo CC but it was just too much money the Seahunt gave me everything I was looking for: a boat I can use for fishing, or just cruising all in one boat. I originally was looking at the dual consoles but not really a good option for fishing. The Seahunt is fast and the 150 is very quite and efficient. I really love it. Just the other day I was out on the water and saw 5 other Seahunts. A very popular boat, and did I mention it has a porta potty. Good luck with your decision. Btw are you getting the Garmin 751s with that price?

Thanks. I was not getting the 751, rather the 541. I just don't think I can pass on this used 2012 KW 203fs as long as I get it for a reasonable number

Jkenney9

Cadet

The warranty on the used engine goes to 2017

Jkenney9

Cadet

Ok here is the problem. The used Key West is sold and now it's between both new boats. I can buy a new boat for $4k less from a dealer not in the area, is that a good move?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Strange the local guy will not come closer in price. On the same product, I'd not drive 5000 miles but most likely would save $4K.