Quicksilver throttle/shift handle stuck

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
On my boat I'm reupholstering the side panels, the shift/throttle lever is fine and comes off easily. It's the 4 screws that hold the throttle assemble to the panel that won't budge. I've tried penetrating oil, impact driver, and some mild heat from a heat gun ( I had it on a low setting so it would not damage anything). It's a 1986 mercruiser 260HP V8 alpha one drive.
Any suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Quicksilver throttle/shift handle stuck

What control is it? It doesn't have anything to do with what engine and drive. Pictures help.

Are the screws threaded into the control or a nut on the back?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Im having this EXACT same issue! Did you ever figure it out?
I got them out. I used a impact driver with a big Phillips bit. One of the electric ones. They came right out. Make sure you have plenty of pressure on the back of the driver so you don't strip the head.

babrown03

Recruit
I did that tonight... Got 3/4... One was already partially stripped... Guess ill be drilling it out tomorrow! Thank you!!!!

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Just drill out the heads not the entire bolt. Once you have the two separated use some vise grips to get them out.

Jose99n2000

Recruit
I'm having the hardest time removing the throttle lever on a 2004 Bayliner model 194 Classic. I'm trying to re-upholster the side panels but I can't remove the throttle. I took two screws to remove the plastic cover to access the bolts to remove it. I took three bolts that had washers on the back. These were attached to the wood panel. Then I took two more bolts that were attached to the metal box that has the throttle cables. But the throttle lever still won't come off! I don't see any other bolts or screws holding in place. I read that you need to push the button on the bottom of the lever and move it forward. I tried that and yet it still doesn't want to come out? Do I need to use a hammer? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
On the bottom part of the handle their is a alen key screw (I don't recall the size). Remove that and it should pop right off. Also, you have to remove the faceplate to remove the lever to disconnect the trim switch wires.