Looking for info/experiences on 1995 Century CC 2001' w/Yamaha 150 OB

GoFastr

Seaman
Let me preface by saying I am a complete novice on big outboard setups both motors and the OB boats themselves. My experience is mainly I/O V4-V8 boats ranging from small ski/tube boats to 30+ foot twin big block go-fasters. I have and have owned small OB's from 5 to only 40hp on a toon boat of mine until now. I am very mechanically inclined and experienced doing things myself. I tend to dig first to find the obvious, then start asking questions.

Juz started the process of rehabbing this boat that was basically a giveaway by a friend (non-mechanical friend BTW) to get it out of his way as he no longer had interest nor the aptitude to deal with it. Last time it ran was in 2010. That ended when he hit a rock punching a hole in the port bow at which time he promptly parked it and it has sat ever since untouched waiting on some love (new name might be the "Cougar"...LOL).

I have since syphoned out the old fuel (beginning to smell turpentiny) from out of the sending unit hole as much as I could get. Other than the smell it's color was still golden and I have been actually running it just fine in the Toon, mowers and in my cars without a hiccup. I have also replaced the whole fuel separator assembly and fuel as the other was completely shot. Yesterday I finished replacing batteries and cleaning every electrical connector I can lay hands on including the accessories board in behind the batteries. Today I plan on hopefully cleaning the carb fuel bowls and replacing the primer bulb and line which is very rigid right now. On and on, plus several other things etc just to sorta paint the big picture...

Anyhoo, what I'm looking for is any information large or small about this particular boat by other current or previous owners that would help sharpen the learning curve on what to know and look for for the current eventual future troubleshooting situations or breakdowns. Here's a sampling of new owner questions I'm looking for but not all inclusive:

1. Is there a fuel shut off hidden somewhere not obvious in it's placement?
2. Any deep placed inline fuses one would never think to look for?
3. Good ideas on stowing the anchor in the bow locker? Right now looks to be free sitting making for a pounding in ruff waters inside the locker (I boat on the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries/inlets).
4. Fuel tank capacity?
5. Tips/tricks to the, I'm assuming, auto-fuel-oil-mixing setup? This one has the main reservoir inside the boat and the smaller reservoir on the motor itself. There's also a switch on the motor to manually pump more oil into the motor reservoir. What's the gouge on this rigging?
6. Anything special needing to be known about stuff behind the dash, or throttle lever, or steering?

ANY info or tips on the Century CC will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking for info/experiences on 1995 Century CC 2001' w/Yamaha 150 OB

you might try posting in the forums on tidalfish.com in Virginia angler to get some locals who may have the same boat.

Here are some guesses:
1. there typically isn't a fuel cut off but you probably have an antisyphon valve on the fuel tank/line connection.
2..There may be that 20A fuse in the cowl.
3. lots of holders around or slip foam insulation on it.
4. probably on a plate on top of the tank near the sending unit
5. no guage on the oil tank; just keep an eye on it and you have that internal reserve if you lose track

who's patching your hole? Richard Tynes is good.

there are tricks to starting a motor that hasn't been run in a while

be sure you have good titles before starting work. That's the hard part.

GoFastr

Seaman
Re: Looking for info/experiences on 1995 Century CC 2001' w/Yamaha 150 OB

Thanks HC, I'll check out the other site as well. Learned some more messing with it today and with more insights on this particular boat setup I hope to spool up quick since there's no owners or operators manual that came with it. Heading out shortly to get a water pump rebuild kit and some drive oil to start freshening things up.