Stern light on small boats with outboards

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

Where exactly is a [single] stern light most often installed on small boats with outboards so that its 135? light arc is not obstructed by the OB? As a side question, am I right that some small boats can have a combined masthead/stern light i.e. basically an all-round 360? top light normally used when stationery + also side lights when moving?

I keep a 19' boat in Russia. The russian rules state it must be installed on the center line AND give continuous 135? light arc, which clearly contradicts one another for many small boats unless it's installed either on a short pole so that the light goes above the OB or (my idea) right into the OB's top cowl and so is effectively dynamic and thus more visible ))

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Re: Stern light on small boats with outboards

I don't think it should be mounted on the engine cowl because that could present a confusing situation for a following boat as the light may appear to go on/off when you are making course corrections.
Follow the regs and mount it on a short mast so that it is visible above the OB.

bekosh

Lieutenant

As a side question, am I right that some small boats can have a combined masthead/stern light i.e. basically an all-round 360? top light normally used when stationery + also side lights when moving?

This is correct. And the 360? light may be placed off the centerline if necessary.

Here is Rule 23 from the USCG site. They conform with International COLREGS (Collision Regulations).
Rule 23 - Power-driven Vessels Underway
(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) sidelights: and
(iv) a sternlight.

(c | d) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters (39 feet) in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

[(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centerline of the vessel if centerline fitting is not practicable, provided the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.]

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another retired guy :

Yeah, my "idea" is rather a joke as I'm sure the authorities wouldn't welcome it at all ))

Btw I even thought about putting 2 at the stern (to the left and to the right of the OB) for a complete 135? arc regardless but this is not permitted: either 1 light or (if the boat is 5m wide or more) 3 in a triangle shape.

A short mast seems the only solution left, I just need to find a suitable place for it as there's not much space and it's easy to knock it down when walking.

bekosh:

Thanks for the info/link. Btw I've just learned that the Russian seaways regs do allow combining masthed + stern into one for vessels up to 7m not exceeding 7 knots, however this statement is not there for the riverways regs I implied above. It is most likely an omission in the latter ones but gives the authorities enough grounds to stop and fine me if I use an all-round one instead.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sometimes you just have to do the best you can. side mount a 360 light so it is taller than any structure of the boat. The only rule that violates is that it has to be centered. On a small OB you are about 2' from center--how can that matter?

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Cookin':

You're right: from safety point of view it doesn't matter. Problem is, they often use such subtleties in the regs to fine boaters. Basically even if I install my stern light right in front of the OB so that it's completely obscured by the latter I'll have less chances of being fined however strange it might sound. So trying to work out something that would (a) be safe and (b) comply with their regs ))

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Privet Dimitriy!

Do you have a link to the riverregs? Not that it would help, but a second set of eyes on it can't hurt. Everywhere else that I know of you could get away with a 360* stern/masthead light so long as it's visible from every direction (i.e. is higher than the rest of the boat).

If the water police are anything like the road police they'll pull you over for just about anything to get a bribe. :grumpy:

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

) Hi emilsr,

> Do you have a link to the riverregs?

I do but it's in Russian and no English translations seem to be available. That particular statement about stern light is very concise and says literally: "Stern light is while light residing at the aft emitting gapless 135? arc of light and positioned so that the light is visible between straight behind and 67.5? towards each side..... A single vessel <50m long and <5m wide must carry one such light in diametral (i.e. central) plane".

> If the water police are anything like the road police they'll pull you over for just about anything to get a bribe.

Exactly: that's what I'm trying to cope with ) That's why virtually any regs there are so overly complicated and can often be understood in different ways.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like the mast is the way to go.

emilsr

) Hi emilsr,

> Do you have a link to the riverregs?

I do but it's in Russian and no English translations seem to be available. That particular statement about stern light is very concise and says literally: "Stern light is while light residing at the aft emitting gapless 135? arc of light and positioned so that the light is visible between straight behind and 67.5? towards each side..... A single vessel <50m long and <5m wide must carry one such light in diametral (i.e. central) plane".

> If the water police are anything like the road police they'll pull you over for just about anything to get a bribe.

Exactly: that's what I'm trying to cope with ) That's why virtually any regs there are so overly complicated and can often be understood in different ways.

I can probably translate.....if I can't, my wife can. :)

If we get stumped, wifey's cousin works in the marine transport industry in Moscow. No promising anything, but will see what we can find out.

Honestly though, that sort of thing is pretty typical there. Might be best just to throw a few rubles in your pocket for such an occasion.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

emilsr:

Here we go then:

- Description of various visual signalization means:
http://www.gims.ru/zakon/pravila/Pravila_03_Visual_Signalizing.html

- Paragraph 57 at the top specifically on which of them and where exactly small boats must carry at night:
http://www.gims.ru/zakon/pravila/Pravila_04_Night_Running_Signalizing.html

> Might be best just to throw a few rubles in your pocket for such an occasion.

In fact I haven't heard anyone ever being fined specifically for this one but it may become a contributing factor if one violates something more significant... kind of "here we go, you also have this wrong, that wrong, etc. etc. - see how guilty you are, so you must pay".

emilsr

In fact I haven't heard anyone ever being fined specifically for this one but it may become a contributing factor if one violates something more significant... kind of "here we go, you also have this wrong, that wrong, etc. etc. - see how guilty you are, so you must pay".

That's how it works with Russian law enforcement. The good news is the exchange rate makes the fines (bribes) cheap. :)

I'll take a look and get back with you.....

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

emilsr:

> That's how it works with Russian law enforcement. The good news is the exchange rate makes the fines (bribes) cheap.

Indeed but still it's never a nice encounter especially when you're having holidays with family/relatives/friends.

Over the last decade of spending summer holidays there I was stopped several times for minor violations while driving (they hide road signs and speed cameras in the trees or bushes and often in places where any sane person would never expect them to be) and deliberately paid a full fine instead of a half size bribe just for the sake of making them do all that routine paperwork and pocket no money. Fines for moderate speeding there range around $35, which I could fortunately afford for such an entertainment )

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Why not fabricate a nice little radar arch or "wing" over the engine and mount the stern light centrally on that? Tastefully done, it could improve the look of your boat and comply with the regs. Want to take the easy way out? Bend up some tubing. It could be made easily removable

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank Acampora:

This is a very nice idea as that arch can also be used for towing waterski. I never liked having it over the head in the middle of the boat but installing it at the rear the way you suggested looks a lot better - many thanks.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

how about a suction cup 360* stern light on top of the motor? then turning wouldn't be an issue. it wouldn't really be an issue with a 135* light since you don't turn that much when running.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Cookin':

Well suction cup will probably fall off now and then... I wouldn't mind hard fixing the light direct on the top cowl but authorities might see it as a violation (in fact after re-reading the regs it looks like nothing in them explicitly requires for stern light to be stationary and moreover installations into the OB's top cowl would guarantee the required 135? light arc unobstructed by anything).

Here's my boat stern btw:

2008.07.06 001.jpg

emilsr

The wording sure is vague. The native Russian speakers in the family just laughed; they know how the law is there.

I looked at pics of some boats at the Sea Ray dealer in Moscow. They were all just like everywhere else; 360* light pole on the stern, sometimes offset to one side. I really don't know what the answer is other than to follow the colregs. That may be the best you can do here.

The wife was driving between Tallinn and St Petersburg on vacation in a rental car. When she hit the brakes I woke up from my nap to see a 60km sign, a cop with the blue baton, and the speedo at about 110 (they said she was going 130 which was probably true). 100 rubles later we were on our way....about US$4 at the time (2003). Hopefully the bribes/fines haven't increased too much. :D

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mount the light off center where it fits, and bend the pole so the light ends up above the motor at the centerline.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

emilsr:

> I looked at pics of some boats at the Sea Ray dealer in Moscow. They were all just like everywhere else; 360* light pole on the stern, sometimes offset to one side.

Indeed actually: somehow I was sure they all have fixed stern lights but cannot find any on the pictures. Yeah I'll try following the colregs and referring to them if caught and see what happens )

Meanwhile I really fancy the idea with a low arch at the aft and will probably install it anyway at some point to tow skiers etc.

There's been huge currency (not just rouble) inflation over the last dozen of years and $4 can hardly buy anything now, perhaps just a few loafs of bread ) As already mentioned you'd probably have to pay about 10 times more for the same speeding offence these days.

snowman48047:

> Mount the light off center where it fits, and bend the pole so the light ends up above the motor at the centerline.

Well the main problem with the pole is that I often need to get there for engine access and can easily break it wherever it is mounted, so this solution is the last resort really. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.