Holding Tank Question

ccbull

Recruit
I just purchased a used boat with a pump out head. My question is how long can I leave waste in the holding tank? Do I need to pump out after every day, or only when the tank gets full? Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Holding Tank Question

with proper chemical treatment you can leave it in there for months... without, only as long as you or your neighbors can stand the smell

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Better to pump it out if you have the opportunity. Aside from the obvious, solid waste tends to turn to bricks especially after mixing with the paper (you should be using biodegradable marine paper). Pump it out and add a few gallons of clean water along with the correct amount of deodorizer. Vent tank filters also keep odors at bay.

brookieme

Cadet

I pumped mine at about 1/2 and no more than 3/4 full....and tried to avoid the 3/4 full. Depending on how big your tank is too... Ive learned a few things since that time.

1. Keep it as clean as possible to ensure your sending unit (if there is one) remains clean.
2. As mentioned before- always use biodegradable paper - it will fall apart fastest in your tank and get sucked out the easiest.
3. This is the best thing I learned- use Calgon (1 cap) and laundry det. (Purex) (2caps) in your tank...or a 1:2 ratio. Add about 3-5 gallons of water to tank. The movement in the boat will swish the liquid around for you. Pour it in thru the toilet....

Ive used various chemical stuff in my tank...but it always still had an odor...even if slight...yuck. I didn't know then about #3. I no longer own that boat- but I do own an RV with holding tanks. Same rules. I do #3 religiously to my black and gray tanks- (40 gal tanks). NO ODOR- ever. The senders stay pretty clean. The calgon helps provide a clean but slick coating to keep the waste off the sides of the tank and sending unit....the detergent keeps it cleaner and breaks down the solids etc. I flush my tanks with fresh water every time I pump.....with a boat...it is a bit more of a challenge, as it is sucked out vs gravity...but so worth it in the long run....hope this helps!