Things to consider if sailing around the world over years and years

92GTA

Cadet
I've decided to start planning for my epic of sailing the world, very very slowly, probably never finishing. For me it's the journey, not the destination. It's going to be 1 other person and I, and a cat. I was born in the Caribbean and spent years and years there. Also lived on boats and know how to sail, up to 100' before. I'll be leaving CA and heading West towards Hawaii and then exploring the south pacific for a few years. I plan on liquidating everything I own and buying the boat & supplies. I'm 33 now and I plan on leaving by the time I'm 36. I'll be traveling with American & British passports, my companion on an American passport. Maybe after 10yrs or so I'll end up in the Mediterranean and in 15 make it back to the Caribbean and live out my days there on my boat.

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there since I know there will be many questions but that's not what this thread is about. I want to get peoples input and suggestions from experience on what type of boat to look for. I've decided on a sail boat and in the 35' to 50' range. I'm hoping to find a sail boat with a small diesel engine which will serve as an emergency generator in addition to just navigating small marinas.

I plan on a bank of deep cycle gel cell batteries and wind/solar as the method to charge. Also a method for desalination will be needed. I need to build a list of gear such as radios & navigational equipment. I also of course plan on some good old school charts and a sextant, you never know, plan for the worst & hope for the best.

I'll need to start learning any and all international laws as they may apply including anchoring, firearms & safety equipment. I plan on a couple Glock .40 hand guns along with a rifle and a shotgun. I'm open to suggestions to protect myself which in reality I won't ever need, but I want to plan for that .01% when I might. I'm going to have everything I own in this world into this boat and what's contained in it. I plan on keeping any firearms hidden in the bilge or somewhere for emergencies so I only ever have to claim 1 of the hand guns to the harbor masters.

Also I would of course love to hear from people who have actually done this. Now I've done my time doing the live aboard thing at marinas so been there/done that. I want to hear from people who have actually traveled the world and the oceans and their experience and advice on what I need to be as self sufficient as possible for the longest amounts of time.

I know this could be a stupid lengthy topic covering 100s of subjects but I want to just start with the ones I mentioned for now.

Thanks!!!! Alex

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Things to consider if sailing around the world over years and years

You have touched many topics here. There are websites of others that have done or are in the process of doing exactly what you are contemplating. I too would not go into international waters without protection. I would have a 12 ga shotgun, check out a street sweeper. At the very least, an extender for additional shells and a semi-auto. I'd not take a 40 as ammo in most places will be difficult to replace. I'd have 9mm or 45 cal. You can find both in semi-auto and 9s with large cap mags. For the rifle-- certainly a semi auto in a NATO cartridge. Some places by simply bringing a weapon into the country will find your boat confiscated and you in jail. That is the same running the Loop in the states as you have to pass through Chicago and some liberal states. Wishing you the best on the adventure.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering, How big is this boat, and was your friend in the special forces. Good luck out their.

agallant80

Commander

I think you are on the wrong foruim. Most of the people here have day boats or weekend boats at best. The are cruing foruims out there that may be better with this. Back in my sailing days I knew a few couples that hit the water. One person made it a few years before the boat had major issues which killed the dream for them. Other people I know that do this sail for a bit, find a port, find some work and move on to the next adventure. Good luck in your adventure. I wish we could all drop out, tune in and turn on.

92GTA

Cadet

I'd start here: SetSail These folks have moved on to power boats now that they are older, but have a lifetime of world sailing and boat building. Their books are considered bibles for long distance cruising.

This would be an ideal boat for your journey: 1988 Deerfoot 61 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks, I'll check that site out. However, that boat is double overkill for my needs! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Alex

92GTA

Cadet

I think you are on the wrong foruim. Most of the people here have day boats or weekend boats at best. The are cruing foruims out there that may be better with this. Back in my sailing days I knew a few couples that hit the water. One person made it a few years before the boat had major issues which killed the dream for them. Other people I know that do this sail for a bit, find a port, find some work and move on to the next adventure. Good luck in your adventure. I wish we could all drop out, tune in and turn on.

What other forums might you suggest? Thanks!

I'll also be doing the find a port, get a job, then move on thing. I won't have any additional sources of income once I'm gone, only what I can make on my way to pay for supplies and repairs.

Alex

agallant80

Commander

I would really reconsider the gun thing too. You will be entering forigen countries with a firearm. That can be a huge problem. Once you leave the US our laws don't apply anymore.

92GTA

Cadet

I would really reconsider the gun thing too. You will be entering forigen countries with a firearm. That can be a huge problem. Once you leave the US our laws don't apply anymore.

I thought there were international maritime law previsions allowing me to carry a firearm for personal protection, so long as I declare when entering a port for them to confiscate during my stay? That's what I read anyway, still need to confirm and document of course.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Not a lawyer, but I'd have to wonder about breaking a gun down to its component parts, how that may or may not get you around any port restrictions.

As far as choice, I'd get a couple WASR ak47s with folding stocks, and a Saiga 12 gauge with extended mag. The wasr's aren't much bigger than a handgun when folded, and you can find 7.62x39 laying around in pretty much every country on the planet. If I have a gun bouncing around in my bilge, there is no way I'd pick anything that shoots nato ammo... Ak47's were meant to live in bad environments. Dump the bilgewater out of it, pull the trigger, and it goes boom.

hostage

Lieutenant

I am a couple years younger than you, but that seems like something I would like to do when I retire. I have to say I am impressed that you are wanting to take such an undertaking at such a young age. Make sure you have the capital to undertake this and then some for repairs or for anything that might go wrong. I am assuming you are going w/o health insurance?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seems this thread wants to make this thread about the gun issue more than anything, and to be quite honest, it should be the last thing you even think about in getting ready to make a trip like this.
Boat, money, and sailing abilities are the biggest problems you need to deal with.

The boat is going to be a compromise. Not everyone can afford a Dearfoot. It takes a lot of looking and understanding to find a boat you can afford and make ready for a cruise like this. There are people that sail around the world in a 20 ft boat.
Do you want deck stepped mast or keel stepped. Fast fin keel or slower (more comfortable) full keel. Electronics, charts, food, charging batteries, repairs, sails, heavy weather sailing, and the list goes on.

You are also posting on a forum that is designed for trailer boats. Not world cruisers. (just keep that in mind as you read the replies)

92GTA

Cadet

Seems this thread wants to make this thread about the gun issue more than anything, and to be quite honest, it should be the last thing you even think about in getting ready to make a trip like this.
Boat, money, and sailing abilities are the biggest problems you need to deal with.

You are also posting on a forum that is designed for trailer boats. Not world cruisers. (just keep that in mind as you read the replies)

Thanks and noted. I agree. I've posted on a couple other recommended forums already. Thanks!