First boat a Key West 203fs?

Jkenney9

Cadet
I am thinking of buying my first boat for use with my 3 kids. There is a used 2012 203fs on the market with a 150 Yamaha (8 hours) what should I realistically pay for it? Is it a good purchase?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: First boat a Key West 203fs?

25% less than new. It isn't even broken in yet. Be sure it didn't sink at the dock the first time the guy used it or left it tied up (happens).

Jkenney9

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback. Is a 20 foot boat a reasonable sized boat for my first boat? I will be taking it out inshore an off

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

A 20'er is a good size 1st boat, especially for going offshore-- but get a lot of inshore experience 1st.. Make sure to get the Yamaha warranty transferred.

Thanks for the feedback. Is a 20 foot boat a reasonable sized boat for my first boat? I will be taking it out inshore an off

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

yes, but a 17-19 is a good starter too esp with small children. Where will you be boating?

Jkenney9

Cadet

yes, but a 17-19 is a good starter too esp with small children. Where will you be boating?

So this used boat Key West is on the market for $30k and I can pickup a new one for $32k. Should I offer $26k or would that be insulting

Jkenney9

Cadet

What do you think if this used boat is priced at $30k and a new one is $32k?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

So this used boat Key West is on the market for $30k and I can pickup a new one for $32k. Should I offer $26k or would that be insulting

well who cares if it's insulting. You aren't going to get it for 28 unless you start at 26.

You need to know why the guy is selling a barely used boat. And once you hear his tale, only you can judge if it's reliable--and go from there.

The way he sees it, it's as good as new. The way you see it, it's used. But you are getting the benefit of a practically new boat--8 hours isn't broken in--it's like a demo. (but verify that he broke it in right)

But you have lost one year of warranty--that's the big difference between a year-old new boat and a year old used boat. I can't put a price on that.

One big advantage to you is that you, a new boater, need to pay more for your boat than an old boater b/c you have to pay for reliability. It takes 20 years experience to deal with the problems on a 20 year old boat. You may not get another chance at least not this summer to get a boat that new.

Here's a big advantage to many used boat deals--is it already rigged? Do you save a grand or more with his anchor, lines, PFD's, safety equipment, radio/antenna, fenders, GPS, even toys? Is there a bimini or cover and were they extras? Bottom already painted? All that may make $30 a good price.

If you bought a new boat today from a dealer you probably wouldn't be in the water for 3 weeks, more if you have to paint it. Then you have to break it in. This one, you can go this afternoon. That's worth a lot now that it's mid Juneesp. if you live where there's a short boating season.

How long has it been on the market?

Does your "new for 32" include a trailer, and anything else? if not, price those extras.

You still don't say where you are boating.

saumon

Lieutenant

Hey, if they advertise it for $30k, they know they'll have to deal some, and $26k isn't insulting at all. On the opposite, they don't even expect someone bringing $30k for it...

I'd say a $4k drop ($28k) would be a good price, considering it's fully rigged (that easily mean $2k-$3k, the GPS alone is $800), but have one less warranty year left.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am thinking of buying my first boat for use with my 3 kids. There is a used 2012 203fs on the market with a 150 Yamaha (8 hours) what should I realistically pay for it? Is it a good purchase?

I looked at the pictures on line and it is a perfect family boat for Charleston. Very similar to seahunt ultra. Note that you can remove all the cushions so you don't have to cover it, or use the cushions every trip, and since you keep them indoors they don't get funky. Low maintenance is the key to happy boating.

Hopefully it has a roller trailer. Add a power winch and keep the trailer dry and it will last you.

I can't tell if it's self bailing; my key west drains into the bilge which then relies on the pump. not a deal breaker for your use but not the best set-up either.