Wood Sealer?

Hey I am re doing the upholstery in my boat and i am going to build a new back bench because the wood is rotted. Do i use normal plywood and seal it with something special or do i use a certain type of boat wood? Thanks for the help.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wood Sealer?

I would use marine grade plywood. You can seal plywood but it is easier to get the marine.

I would use marine grade plywood. You can seal plywood but it is easier to get the marine.

Marine grade plywood is NOT waterproof. The difference between marine plywood and regular plywood is in the fact that all voids in the plies are filled during the laminating process, resulting in a much stronger product.

For seats you could probably use PT plywood, or if you use standard plywood I'd seal them real good with an epoxy product like West Systems.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

You don't need marine grade plywood for above waterline, interior stuff. An A-B or even B-C exterior grade plywood will do fine. I've had good results sealing plywood with CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer), followed by a coat of Rustoleum oil based enamel.

You will find a lot of guys on here who are not big fans of CPES. All I can say is that I have been doing volunteer work on the construction of a full size reproduction of a Spanish Galleon, and they use it in 5 gallon containers and apply it to almost all of the plywood.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

When i replaced some of my seats i just used standard plywood and then sealed it with thompson wood sealer... so far so good.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Have you, would you, consider a type of plastic? there are many, many different types.

McMaster-Carr
(just to name a few - and not intended to endorse McMaster Carr)

I rebuilt my rear set frame in PVC and it has worked out real well. Of course the frame for my rear seat was entirely straight pieces (no curved shapes) so it was pretty easy. if your frame has curves to it, it would be more difficult. But then again, doing a curved frame in wood might not be so easy either.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Oops, forgot to tell you to seal the marine plywood if you choose to use it.

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seal it with epoxy and it will last longer than you will. Any exterior grade ply would work. Epoxy is pretty much a permanent waterproof barrier. Anything else like paint or Thompsons sealer is just delaying the rot.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Seal it with epoxy and it will last longer than you will. Any exterior grade ply would work. Epoxy is pretty much a permanent waterproof barrier. Anything else like paint or Thompsons sealer is just delaying the rot.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Exterior grade plywood minimum, yes the Birch and other cabinet grade plywoods are pretty but they don't make them with the waterproof glue like exterior grade.

Epoxy (not polyester) resin is the best as Auger01 pointed out. Apply 4 coats and it'll be like a sheet of Lexan between your plywood and the elements.