What type of window glass in old bowrider?

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat in question is an '84 Webbcraft (in my sig). The windshield has pop out windows, but when I got the boat they were removed. I got one of the windows with the boat, I assume the other one was broken at some point. Well I got new pop out hardware, but I need to get another window made so I can reinstall them. My question is, what type of glass are windshields this old made from? Safety glass? I have a sheet of plate glass from an old glass top coffee table that I'd like to use if the rest of the windshield isn't safety glass.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: What type of window glass in old bowrider?

It's almost undoubtedly tempered glass. You could also use polycarbonate (Lexan).

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm afraid lexan wont match the rest of the windows. I'm replacing these so I can tint the windows all around an it would look weird with a gap.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Should be tempered glass. If it's flat, any glass shop can cut a piece and have it tempered for you. I replaced my windshield center section a couple of years ago this way, I think it cost me 25 bucks. Let them use the glass you have as a template.

67GTA

Seaman Apprentice

The one that you have should be a mirror image of the one that you need. But just to make sure install it into the opening. If it fits take it to a glass shop and they can get one for you. It's probably tempered glass. Word of warning. Once glass is tempered it can't be cut down in any way, shape or form. So be sure do get the right size AND thickness.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, I was planning on using the window I have as template. I found a local glass shop that can do the job, but its going to take them a couple weeks.