would you by a prestine 1985 Baretta? - Time sensitive!!!

BuddhaM

Cadet
Hello everyone I am a newbie to owning a boat and it really just began by my buddy and i wanting to do some fishing this summer. Then I thought it would be fun to take the nieces tubing and wanting a little nicer boat then a stripped down beater for fishing. That was the original idea after all. Just buy a boat for around 2k and have some fun. Now i'm keeping it dockside for the summer so it has to have covers so it might as well be a little nicer. Anyway ended up looking in the 5k region but came across this real nice looking 1985 Baretta BR. The hull looks great and the engine has been gone over by their not my mechanic and the interior is in great shape. This came from a Dr's estate and the owner is basically passing it along. In fact he has thought about keeping it and selling his Sea Ray instead. I learned from these forums that this boat is not constructed very well and used steel staples and didn't seal the wood very well so rot is a sure thing. I guess I'm wondering if it would be any worse than the other boats I have been looking at of this age but have worse interiors and cost 4-5k. Oh yeah this is a 19ft Baretta Bow Rider. 170 HP Mercruiser I/O. Not certain yet if it is 3.0 or 4.3 liter. I have been looking at Wellcraft, Regal, Raven, Sea Ray, Bayliner, Caravelle(6k), and some others and most have been real dog interiors and soft floors. Most weren't as old as this one.

They are asking 3,200 with dual axle trailer. Given that it is in good condition do you think that it just hasn't been used and the rotting will come in further down the road with my use or is it a time bomb. For 3k I will just unload it at the first signs of softening and not attempt a restore. Is Baretta that bad or do you think it can be run with for 3 or 4 seasons and call it a good buy? Did i mention that the current owner left it uncovered last night and it rained hard on it. Almost certain to kick off the rot fest.

I have an appointment for water test tomorrow (Monday) at 3pm eastern.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

3Ea3G33Fc5N15Gd5E5d62974c6e3fe73415a5.jpg3Ea3G43N75I85Ee5Mdd62f3b550623d611460.jpg3Ed3G93J15Kb5F95Mdd6214db54b117491198.jpg3Ef3La3Hb5Nb5Ic5L4d6232e6ab9a3ddc1a47.jpg3G93F73H45G65Md5J2d62a11b765923f011a1.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: would you by a prestine 1985 Baretta? - Time sensitive!!!

170hp merc... 1985... Its neither a 3.0L or a 4.3L; it's most likely option "C", the 3.7L/470. So no, I would not buy it.

It looks like its in fine condition and the price is not terrible. But with that engine, I'd just have to pass.

BuddhaM

Cadet

I passed on the Baretta. it was soaked with water. The glove box had 2" of water in it. the storage had 2" of water and a gas slick. Some of the electronics didn't work and the control panel dripped water when I flipped the switch. He didn't even pull the plug to drain all of the rain water. My gut just said of all boats this is the wrong one to soak.

I walked.

Thanks for the info i have already applied it to some other selections.

Next up 89 Regal Sebring vs 95 bayliner. Which do I buy?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Next up 89 Regal Sebring vs 95 bayliner. Which do I buy?

Depends, which one is in better shape? The brand is not as relevant as you may think. Give us some details and we'll help you decide.

BuddhaM

Cadet

I started a new thread with the title 89 regal vs 95 bayliner. Please look there.