Help! CMC tilt/trim pt-130 leaking

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I purchased this used today and the motor kicks on, but as I could see it was seeping fluid out of the shock inlet to one of the hydraulic lines. So I unscrewed it(both the line and the bigger nut the line goes into) after taking both the line and nut I noticed neither had any orings just umber tape, so I bought 2 o-rings and put in then screwed them both tight, fluid still leaks cause when I manually separate the tilt/trim with my hands and then push then close I can hear and see bubbles out of that line.

Also the unit does not open when I jump it to battery but I'm assuming cause there is little fluid in it.

This unit leaked most of the fluid out just by sitting flat in a box not mounted to a hulk or motor.

Please help!

Thanks

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help! CMC tilt/trim pt-130 leaking

Sorry for my mid-spelling I'm typing on my phone.

Also just clarify the fluid is leaking under the bigger nut that screws into the shock and not the other unit.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a picture of the unit and where its leking from? would easier to help diagnose the problem.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where my finger is pointing is where its leaking from and where I hear air pissing out.

photo-1.jpgphoto.jpgphoto-2.jpg

RRitt

Captain

take it off boat. take tube off and see if that is an adapter fitting into side of cylinder. if it is, take it out and replace. if the adapter to housing threads are stripped then buy a brass 3/16" inverted flare adapter with next larger size male thread. Cut adapter to correct length and shape required for cylinder and install using petroleum resistant pipe compound.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took them off already and none of the threads are stripped

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fitting that screws into the actual shock housing un-screws and screws in with no trouble and inspected the threads and none were stripped, when I bought this yesterday used it has plumbers white tape on it and no type of seal or o-ring. I'm not sure if there was one oem.
I am freshly new to the boating scene.
Please help!

RRitt

Captain

if the threads are all good and the tube is not bent or cracked then your problem is outside my realm of normal problems.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do notice that there is an outside cylinder that surrounds the actual hydraulic cylinder. So when I took the top line and valve nut off I could wiggle the outside cylinder back n forth a tiny bit.
I noticed that the bottom valve nut (flare adapter as you called it) is snug (almost like this housing is playing the role of a washer) up against the outer housing but the top one when tight as it will go does not firmly press against this outer housing.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Contacted CMC, the said my unit is a 90's model and they have no parts or manuals available for it. What a joke!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Contacted CMC, the said my unit is a 90's model and they have no parts or manuals available for it. What a joke!!

Take the cylinder to a hydraulic shop and see what they have to say. There is nothing special about it, most the parts are off the shelf and CMC just assembles with their unique parts. Hey, you could have bought new to get a warranty.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I had the extra $700+ I would have bought new.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I had the extra $700+ I would have bought new.

I know the new ones are pricey. I was just jackin' with ya, Seriously, try a hydraulic shop.

RRitt

Captain

hydraulic shop is a great idea. It won't be anything serious if the housing is good. However, it's one of those things that needs to be seen up close by somebody familiar with hydraulics.

Skyla316

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brought it to a hydraulic shop and he told me to use Teflon tape or some liquid sealer and if it is still leaking after that than it needs to be completely taken apart to see if its leaking on the inside shock or whatever.
I think I might be at a loss on this unit but will see.