Old School Wood Sealer

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thought this might be helpful for some of the aluminum boat restoration folks. My German Grandfather taught me this long before Pressure Treated wood came along. I still use it today and it works really well.

Use equal parts of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO), Mineral Spirits, and Hardwood Floor Varnish (Today I use the MindWax Polyurethane for Floors). I get the empty metal gallon Paint cans from Lowes and buy a quart of each of the above and pour them into the can. (Save the MS for last so you can rinse out the BLO and Varnish cans with it.;)) Put the lid on and shake it up really good. Let it sit for a day then shake it up again.

BLO is really high in solids as well as the Varnish. When thinned with the MS this mixture will penetrate the wood and seal it really well. Because of the BLO, it does require 24-36 hours to ensure adequate dry time. For Aluminum transoms and seats, if you really saturate the wood with this mixture until it pools and then wipe it down and pay close attention to the edges making sure to saturate them well, it will provide really good water resistance. At a cost of less than $25 for 3/4 of a gallon I think it's a good economical way to ensure longevity in your boats wooden structures. When you add 2-3 coats of a good exterior Oil Based Paint and take proper care and maintenance the wood will last a very long time.

TIP: For you woodworkers out there, This is a great pre-conditioner for pine if you want to stain it. It will take away the blotchiness that is common when you attempt to stain pine and give it a much more even and uniform look when staining.:)