Waterproof Stereo Enclosure/Housing Question

walledlakeIV

Cadet
Hello All,

Last year I purchased a new stereo CDXGT260MP (Car Audio CD Stereo | Car Stereo Receiver | CDX-GT260MP | Sony USA) to replace the old tape deck in my pontoon but never got around to installing it.

I decided to give it a shot yesterday and picked up everything I needed, including a waterproof enclosure. I didn't get very far when I realized that the enclosure I bought didn't seem to provide enough support to keep the unit in place. The DIN sleeve (I believe its called) barely has a lip in it that stops the unit from sliding back into the helm and there is nothing on the enclosure that keeps it from sliding out. :confused:

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious but its seems like there should be some sort of a plate over the face that slightly overlaps the unit and attaches to the enclosure or a way to screw the unit to the enclosure from the sides. The stereo is not mounted at an angle, facing upwards, like I see on some 'toons so I don't have gravity to help keep it in place either.

The enclosure I bought is this Jensen (JENSEN Marine White Water Resistant Housing) which I have to take back because the hole in the helm isn't large enough for the flip up-and-in type door, I need a simple flip-up.

Just want to make sure I get the right one next time and that I'm not missing something that would make the unit more stable in the enclosure.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Waterproof Stereo Enclosure/Housing Question

Did you check out the installation guide in your enclosure link? It's not very informative but the pictures help. Those tabs on the top and bottom sides of the DIN sleeve are designed to be bent up and hold the sleeve (and enclosure) from the back side.

So you'll want to slide the sleeve into the enclosure, then slide the two together into the cut-out in the dash. Then use a flathead screwdriver to push the top tabs up and bottoms tabs down. They will catch the back side of the dash and hold the sleeve/enclosure firmly against the dash. Once that is secure, wire up your harness, connect it and the antenna to the stereo through the sleeve, and simply slide the stereo in. Tabs on the sides of the sleeve are designed to catch the stereo and hold it in place.

walledlakeIV

Cadet

Did you check out the installation guide in your enclosure link? It's not very informative but the pictures help. Those tabs on the top and bottom sides of the DIN sleeve are designed to be bent up and hold the sleeve (and enclosure) from the back side.

So you'll want to slide the sleeve into the enclosure, then slide the two together into the cut-out in the dash. Then use a flathead screwdriver to push the top tabs up and bottoms tabs down. They will catch the back side of the dash and hold the sleeve/enclosure firmly against the dash. Once that is secure, wire up your harness, connect it and the antenna to the stereo through the sleeve, and simply slide the stereo in. Tabs on the sides of the sleeve are designed to catch the stereo and hold it in place.

Ahhhh, okay... that sounds like exactly what I was missing. I'll give it a shot when I get home today, thanks!

walledlakeIV

Cadet

Ok, after going to a few places after work yesterday looking for a flip-up enclosure, instead of the flip up-and-in Jensen one, I had to order one online.

I ordered the PolyPlanar Splash cover (WC3 - Radio Splash Cover | PolyPlanar Waterproof Marine Audio Systems) which should do the trick. I needed something like this because the tinted glass face on the other ones that flip up-and-in wouldn't fit correctly in the hole I'm trying to fit the stereo in. Well, they would fit but did not have enough room for the cover to slide back.

Anyways, none of the simple flip-up designs I could find had a shelf in the back like the Jensen did. Will the lip on the DIM sleeve along with the bendable tabs be enough to support the whole unit? Seems like it should have some support underneath like the Jensen had with the shelf.

Is there anyone out there that uses this type of housing that can let me know whether or not the unit will be OK without some support from underneath? Mine is also going to be mounted straight in and not at an angle like some that I see.

Thanks again guys!

oldjeep

Admiral

Those housings are a pain. Easier to just use a waterproof marine unit that doesn't require one.

walledlakeIV

Cadet

I don't doubt that it is but I already have the stereo so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Either way, I still need to mount it into the helm and it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of support between the DIM sleeve and the housing. Maybe it will be just fine, I'm not sure but the unit has some weight to it and seems like it would need more than what it will get from the DIM sleeve - especially since it isn't mounted at an upward facing angle.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A lot of car dashes don't have reinforcement on them and the radios hold just fine. You'd be surprised how much those tabs hold they are sturdy. Make sure the bottom tabs are bent down as much as possible...they hold the weight of the stereo.

walledlakeIV

Cadet

oldjeep

Admiral

I don't doubt that it is but I already have the stereo so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Either way, I still need to mount it into the helm and it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of support between the DIM sleeve and the housing. Maybe it will be just fine, I'm not sure but the unit has some weight to it and seems like it would need more than what it will get from the DIM sleeve - especially since it isn't mounted at an upward facing angle.

Well, the lack of support is because it is a car stereo, not a boat stereo. Not sure I'd go to a lot of trouble trying to convert a $70 car radio into a marine unit. Might want to see if you can install something under your dash for the bottom of the stereo to sit on so it doesn't flop around in the waves.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at the back of you radio, it should have a stud or a bolt hole. It also should have a bolt or nut for the stud in the accessory bag, it might also have a long piece of flat metal. You can fasten the metal piece the back of the radio in the supplied spot with either your bolt or stud, then screw the other end of the metal piece to something solid in your helm. It'll secure things up a bit and make it harder to steal.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at the back of you radio, it should have a stud or a bolt hole. It also should have a bolt or nut for the stud in the accessory bag, it might also have a long piece of flat metal. You can fasten the metal piece the back of the radio in the supplied spot with either your bolt or stud, then screw the other end of the metal piece to something solid in your helm. It'll secure things up a bit and make it harder to steal.

I think that's what he was referring to with the backstrap. In older cars with poor mounting ability, we would fabricate a support system just like you mentioned. Works really well.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Well, the lack of support is because it is a car stereo, not a boat stereo. Not sure I'd go to a lot of trouble trying to convert a $70 car radio into a marine unit. Might want to see if you can install something under your dash for the bottom of the stereo to sit on so it doesn't flop around in the waves.

At best, marine stereos have potted electronics and a sealed membrane faceplate. At worst, they are simply a white faceplate and no other differences. (I've seen both, and everything in between.) Anyway, key point is that the external chassis/mounting between marine and auto is 100% identical. The fact it is or isn't marine makes zero difference in mounting it.

Also, even a marine head unit will not survive long if it is often subjected to direct contact with water. (rain or splashing)

oldjeep

Admiral

At best, marine stereos have potted electronics and a sealed membrane faceplate. At worst, they are simply a white faceplate and no other differences. (I've seen both, and everything in between.) Anyway, key point is that the external chassis/mounting between marine and auto is 100% identical. The fact it is or isn't marine makes zero difference in mounting it.

Also, even a marine head unit will not survive long if it is often subjected to direct contact with water. (rain or splashing)

Dunno about that - the marine unit in my boat mounts with 4 screws through the face of the dash and has a full rubber front on it. Doesn't mount anything like a car stereo.