Trim Tab switches

popo4fun

Seaman
SO when i try to raise and lower my trim tabs only the port side will move. No matter which button I hit ( both port and starboard) the port one moves when either is pushed....starboard wont??? doesnt really make sense. Is this a wiring issue or a pump. cylinder issue. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim Tab switches

The first thing we need to know is what type of trim-tabs do you have? Does you power unit look like one of these?

trimtabpumps.jpg

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

As Don points out we need to know what brand Trim Tabs you have. And it will be helpful to know how old they are and what type of boat they are installed on. It could be that the solenoid valves have beeb installed incorrectly on the pump.

Once we know the brand we can walk you through troubleshooting.

popo4fun

Seaman

Sorry guys....didnt do my part to help you....help me. They are the red one....Boat leveler. On a 1993 Rinker 260vee. Like stated before no matter which switch I press it makes the port side go up and down.....when i press starboard still the port is the one activated.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

popo,

Were the Trim Tabs working and then failed? If so did anybody work on them? Or have they been like this since you bought the boat?

As I mentioned I think that the port solenoid valve is stuck open and the starboard one is stuck closed. Standby, I am putting together some troubleshooting for you.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Below you will find basic troubleshooting I wrote for the Boat Leveler system.

As I mentioned I thin that the valve for the port side is always open, so when ever you run the pump it will move.

Here is a diagram of the system:

You can see the two valves, 12641 & 12701

If you unscrew the valve for the port side you can look inside to see if the spring, plunger, O-ring and valve seat are assembled properly. They should look like this:

Also make sure that both valves are not screwed in too tightly as that will cause them to malfunction.

If you find the port valve is defective or missing parts you can get a new one from Boat Leveler, There is a link to their website below.

To determine why the starboard side is not working you can use the troubleshooting below

Here is a link to their website Insta Trim Boat Leveler -- The World Leader in Boat Trim Tabs system

I can't find any troubleshooting on their site.

The Boat Leveler system is pretty easy to troubleshoot. I put together this troubleshooting based on how the system works. If you hear the pump running but the Trim Tabs are not moving, check to see that the system is getting good power as low voltage can cause the motor to run but the valves may not open. Clean the connections and pay particular attention to both ends of the ground wire at the pump. Then do the test below.

Here is he wiring for Boat Leveler.

green=Port Valve
white= Starboard Valve
red=Motor Forward (pump pressure)
yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)
black on HPU=Ground
red on Helm=Control Positive

wire2.jpg

wire1.jpg

Here is how you can test it.

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction
(+), Red, Green=Port trim tab down
(+), Red, White=Starboard trim tab down
(+), Red, Green, White=both trim tabs down
(+), Yellow, Green=Port trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White=Starboard trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White, Green=both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by using a hot lead. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

Make sure to check both ends of the black ground wire at the pump for corrosion.

Last edited:

popo4fun

Seaman

Wow Tabman...that was alot of thought put into that reply. Thanks will get on that in just a little bit. Will let you know.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

popo,

I am happy I can help!

I will be standing by to hear what you find.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great troubleshooting data, tabman. On par with typical Don S. advise/help (high compliment).