please help me identify this boat!!

sadlerracing

Cadet
I am aquiring this boat tomorrow and im trying to figure out exactly what it is. the guy claims its a 1969 17' Regal. But with my research i found the only 17' boat regal made in 69 was a tri hull. Boat also has a cuddy cabin...im at a loss here and i desperately need help.myboat.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: please help me identify this boat!!

Tittle or registration should help, and w/o those you will have bigger issues getting her legal rather than boat brand, depending where you live.

sadlerracing

Cadet

He has a clear title for it and the motor and he said the title says 17' regal. And he has had the boat registered before so obviously he didn't have any issues. I'm in TX btw. Maybe he just told me the wrong year or something? I'll see it in person tomorrow so I hope my questions will be answered then.

sadlerracing

Cadet

I guess I don't care so much what the model is, I'm just concerned on how I tell the title matches the boat...this is my first boat

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Did you look at 1979 models? Year is an easy typo to make in an ad. Just make sure that the title matches whatever you find on the boat. If in fact it was made after 1972 it'll have a 12-position number on the upper right section of the transom. 1st 3 positions tell you manufacturer. Regal is RGM or RGT.

sadlerracing

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I'll research 79 models. And is there any number on the previous 1972 models I can compare the title to?

sadlerracing

Cadet

Ok I've got some new info on this boat. There is no number stamped into the transom, I found a starcraft glovebox in the boat, and its not a cuddy cabin, it has a small section of the bow that slides forward so you can stand in the bow and fish. Doing more research the boat does resemble a starcraft design but I'm not sure what model or year. All the title says is 1969 17' regal. And there is a metal plate attached to the boat with the matching serial number to the title. Definitely not a factory plate but the title is clear and the boat has been registered under this title. I'm just so curious to what the boat actually is so I can try and find parts for it.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

And there is a metal plate attached to the boat with the matching serial number to the title. Definitely not a factory plate but the title is clear and the boat has been registered under this title

So he took a Starcraft with a bad or no title and put a regal plate on it so he could title it? Run away....

sadlerracing

Cadet

Yea that's kind of my guess, but I'm not 100% sure its not a regal either. I got the boat for free so its worth my digging around to try and figure this thing out. If all else fails I just scrap it and make some money off the outboard and trailer

sadlerracing

Cadet

The glove box is from a starcraft tristar, I just did some research on that and this boat definitely is not a tristar...I'm thinking the only way ill be able to identify what it truely is is if anyone knows anything about the sliding bow...I personally have never heard of or seen this on a boat so I'm assuming it was kind of a rare thing?

Bondo

Staff member
That looks like a StarCraft Islander to me. A buddy of mine has one, it runs great!

Ayuh,.... This thread is Well over a Year old,....
Please read, 'n follow Our forum postin' rules, 'n guidelines,....
Thank you,....

A Starcraft Islander is an aluminum cabin boat, not a fiberglass run-about,...

Last edited: