Bottom Paint

retiredDon

Cadet
I have a used 1998 24' Wellcraft purchased last fall. Since I don't know what bottom paint was on the boat what would be the best way to proceed. The boat was power washed when she came out of the water and looks like a light sanding would do. Any suggestions on using a primer or what kind of paint. Boating done in Long Island New York

Downforce6

Seaman
Re: Bottom Paint

I have a used 1998 24' Wellcraft purchased last fall. Since I don't know what bottom paint was on the boat what would be the best way to proceed. The boat was power washed when she came out of the water and looks like a light sanding would do. Any suggestions on using a primer or what kind of paint. Boating done in Long Island New York

Just chimin in to follow the thread. I bottom painted my boat this spring, sure looked great when I had it done. Was very easy to do too, seeing how I did little to no prep work. (just washed it with muratic acid).. Man did it look great after I painted it.

Splashed for first time afterwards on Sunday. Most of the bottom paint at the V is gone. Didn't stick at all. Most of the paint is still there I guess, but really sucks the bow portion on the V hull is right back to the way it was. Guess I should have done some sanding. A primer? I dunno, like I said just chiming in so I can follow the thread as I'll b interested to hear what everyone says.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Don, There is no good way to tell what kind of paint was on it. If the paint color is black, blue or red, it is likely copper-based modified epoxy or ablative, as those are by far the most popular. In that case paint over it with a multiseason ablative copper paint.

If it is some other color, or has a real hard finish, it is something else and may not be compatable with all paints. It may even need to be removed. I am not sure who you could ask of further. Maybe someone can eyeball it and tell you more.

Downforce6

Seaman

Just back to offer this link to an article I found. My bottom paint was in really bad shape, it was black and I repainted with copper based alblative. Like I said, didn't stick worth crap really.

I think next year I will take it all off, sand her down, use a epoxy sealer and the paint again with albative. Really bummed about it cause it sure did look great before I put it in the water. Any advice guys I sure would listen.

The West Advisor: Bottom Paint

retiredDon

Cadet

Thanks for the info

Just back to offer this link to an article I found. My bottom paint was in really bad shape, it was black and I repainted with copper based alblative. Like I said, didn't stick worth crap really.

I think next year I will take it all off, sand her down, use a epoxy sealer and the paint again with albative. Really bummed about it cause it sure did look great before I put it in the water. Any advice guys I sure would listen.

The West Advisor: Bottom Paint