trim tab hydraulics rebuild?

LEROYDOZOIS

Seaman Apprentice
we have a 1985 sleekcraft and the trim tabs are finally leaking to the point where they need to be replaced. i believe dad went to the local volvo place here in LHC and they said theres no kit offered to rebuild but he can get a new set for 1 easy payment of $1960...

he have a buddy at his work whos rather good at hydraulics and we thought about letting him see if he can disassemble them and reseal.

is anyone out there much more knowledgeable then myself and our experience? and can shed light on how to fix these leaky buggers? oorrrrrrrr, where to get a new set that doesnt cost $2000 ?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: trim tab hydraulics rebuild?

You will need to post your outdrdive model. Certain models can be rebuilt, it is quite easy.

Thalasso

Commander

What brand first of all? If there Bennett's there is just two O-ring's on each one

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ahhh trim tabs i read trim cylinder's....a bit early for me...big weekend.

LEROYDOZOIS

Seaman Apprentice

okay just so i dont confuse people with my stupidity, i ment the cavitation hydraulics... but the trim hydraulics are leaking just as bad... so i gues ill go get a picture of those too

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moved this thread to boat topics, the tabs are not Volvo, they are Bennett Trim Tabs for sure. Your hydraulic power unit should look like one of these

trimtabpumps.jpg

Have seen a few boats with Boat leveler pumps, and Bennett tabs. I had one of them.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

LEROYDOZOIS,

Those are Bennett Trim Tab Actuators (rams). If they are leaking it is a very simple DIY job to replace the O-rings in them.

If you send me your name and mailing address in a private message, I will be delighted to send you replacement O-rings and instructions to change them out, no charge.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I've done that rebuild and it is pretty easy but a little messy.

LEROYDOZOIS

Seaman Apprentice

were there any special tools used to do this wonderful task ? and was anything reversed thread ?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

No special tools the threads on the actuator body to the upper hinge are righty tighty / lefty loosey. I received your address and the O-rings and instructions will mail right out to you.

Bondo

Staff member

okay just so i dont confuse people with my stupidity, i ment the cavitation hydraulics... but the trim hydraulics are leaking just as bad... so i gues ill go get a picture of those too

Ayuh,.... 1 Problem down,... Where's the pictures or the Other Leakers,..?? :D

LEROYDOZOIS

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... 1 Problem down,... Where's the pictures or the Other Leakers,..?? :D

since im stuck figuring out how to change the lower o-rings on my drive i didnt take pictures of the actual trim cylinders. but the boat is an 85 with a 290aq/290 drive. if i need to post actual pictures of the cylinders themselves ill do so

duststang

Seaman

trim tabs are easy Bennett will send the o rings free. no experience with the others?