hauling boat with bimini top

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is it safe to haul my boat with bimini top open and front window &side windows snapped and zipped in to connect to the windshield and boat sides? Don't want this too get torn off going 55mph done the road.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: hauling boat with bimini top

Only if you want to buy a new one.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't either. Our boat will do close to 60 and I have no problem running at WOT with the bimini open. But I won't trailer it that way.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I trailered my boat with the bimini up... across the street.

Wouldn't do it for any distance, and definitely not at highway speed.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why take the chance of it coming off on the highway and causing a wreck behind you?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The wind force on a bimini at 60 mph is FOUR times the force at 30 mph. Plus you have turbulence from Semis that you never get on the water. If you add the third factor that the boat is at a different angle on the trailer than on the water you can see you are opening possibilities that could lead to big damage.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would advise against it, unless you just want to buy a new one.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

only do it if I am in front of you....................... :friendly_wink:

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No. You'll destroy it.

Not to mention the possibility of damage to the boat when the metal framework breaks free and gets whipped around the cockpit.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My bimini has a 30mph max speed sewed on a warning label. When I see people towing with bimini's, they are always closed and even then they are driving locally at low speed. Of course here in MN you almost never need the bimini since our sun isn't nearly as intense as down south so my sample size is small. Bottom line though is it isn't made for towing. Technically even a snap down mooring cover isn't made for towing and that is completely smooth and covers the windshield.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely not!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

It seems to me your top has X number of hours of life built into it. Every hour on the highway exposed to the wind is an hour less on the water. Then there are the issues you normally don't have on water, such as low branches. As little work as it is to raise and lower a Bimini, why chance it?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

It seems to me your top has X number of hours of life built into it. Every hour on the highway exposed to the wind is an hour less on the water.

While this is true, we treat ours with 303. When it's stored in the driveway, the biminis are UP, as well as the full canvas enclosure.