Block letters? Illinois registration lettering

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm finishing up my resto and need to put together the necessary legal and safety items for my boat. One of those items is properly placed registration letters. I should premise this, with this being my first boat in Illinois.

I walked into my local boat store, and took a gander at the lettering kits. Of course, I was attracted to the fancy "faded" letters with borders sold as kits.

I'd much rather get a set of pre-made vinyl cut letters to apply in one fail swoop vs trying to individually lay out numbers like I'm tagging my mailbox. So I went looking online and discovered a few comments from people saying that their letters are not real BLOCK letters and they have been hassled. I'm not looking to get into any kind of legal garbage with anyone in this state.

So my question is... What is classified as a legal 3" BLOCK letter? What font is it really? And are "shadows" and "outlines" allowed? I know that PWCs normally have them?

Thanks guys.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Block letters? Illinois registration lettering

While I had no problem with my block letters being above the rub rail, for 8 years (Boat came from FL, and that's where the old letters were, so due to fading I put the IL numbers there), you should follow the law as it is written. Unless you want to be hassled. It's up to you, really.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat came from IL and had the old numbers above the rub rail also. But this is also where it is most visible.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

While I had no problem with my block letters being above the rub rail, for 8 years (Boat came from FL, and that's where the old letters were, so due to fading I put the IL numbers there), you should follow the law as it is written. Unless you want to be hassled. It's up to you, really.
Can you show me your block letters? Here is my boat. They were originally on the white part. (what used to be brown)

TilliamWe

Banned

I agree that they are more visible above the rubrail, but IL wants them below for some reason! ;) No I can't show you my numbers, because I don't own the boat (or any other boat) anymore. :(

UncleWillie

Captain

Most states have the same requirements.

3 inches Tall
The letter/Numbers must be 3 inches Tall. Do NOT include the borders or Drop Shadows in the measurement.
The letter is a solid color, the borders and the shadows can be anything, as they are not part of the letter

Solid Color
Self explanatory. Rainbow and Color Fades are violations that are seldom enforced unless the letters are not easily readable.

On the Bow.
This means the forward half of the boat and above the waterline.
Above or below the rub rail is strictly your choice.

Block Letters
Any Font you want except the Fancy Flowery Script Fonts.
Upright letters, Not slanted Italics.
Block Means "OH 0657" Not "Ohio Zero Six Five Seven"

Contrasting Color
No White letters on a White Background permitted. But it doesn't mean you must put White on Black or Black on White.
Grey on Black or Blue on White or Grey on Blue is OK as long as it is readable.

This is a Medium Grey 3 inch letter with a 1/8 white border. 3-1/4 overall; on a Blue background. Easily readable.
There is actually a 15 degree Forward Slant in these letters. Is it even Noticeable?
But it does not scream as bad as solid hospital white letters would have.

BowNumbers1.jpg

The Bottom Line in all of this; Can they be read from a distance?

Illinois Summary
The registration number and expiration decals must be displayed as follows.

• Number must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel.
  • Number must read from left to right on one line, starting with two capital letters—IL—followed by a space and four digits followed by a space and two capital letters, for example: IL 1234 AB.
  • Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
  • Number's color must contrast sharply with its background.
  • Decals must be placed on both sides of the bow after a space at the end of the number.

There is No mention of the Rub Rail, just, "... Each side of the forward half of the vessel"

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Uncle Willie. I pretty much had that in mind. Just needed one more confident answer to solidify!!! Off to the vinyl guy to see what he will charge me when he makes my boat name too.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If the vinyl guy wants and arm and a leg, try out Ebay. You can get pre cut letters quite cheap, lots of colors and fonts, most (all?) of which would count as BLOCK. On your boat I think white letters would look great on the blue part of the hull.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seen the ones on ebay for a good price. But putting them on the blue would probably be a no go. That area is very curved. The white part would be best.

scipper77

Commander

I would personally ask either a sheriff, or the coast guard auxillary what they want you to do.

On the water, Coast guard aux offers free "safety checks" and I doubt that you will have any trouble with any sheriff if you flag him down because you want to make sure that your vessel is in compliance with the law.

I bet you could go to your closest Coast guard station and ask, or call.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would personally ask either a sheriff, or the coast guard auxillary what they want you to do.

On the water, Coast guard aux offers free "safety checks" and I doubt that you will have any trouble with any sheriff if you flag him down because you want to make sure that your vessel is in compliance with the law.

I bet you could go to your closest Coast guard station and ask, or call.
Good point! I guess I could put some letters on and get out on the water and double check. I'm sure if something was outta whack, they wouldn't give me any grief?

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

The law says the forward half of the boat. So they don't have to be all the way up by the bow. They can be farther back on the hull that has less flare if you prefer them to be on the blue. My 18 foot Sea Ray has a lot of flare forward too, so I moved them back to just forward of the windshield, but they are still on the forward half of the boat.
_MG_3026_zps70401a92.jpg

_MG_3025_zpsf3a01e5c.jpg

scipper77

Commander

Good point! I guess I could put some letters on and get out on the water and double check. I'm sure if something was outta whack, they wouldn't give me any grief?

Or just call them and hope they don't just recite the law back to you straight from the book.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't be too creative. Just make them readable, and if you do get stopped - be polite. Your attitude (and sobriety) will have the biggest influence on how picky the officer decides to be.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't be too creative. Just make them readable, and if you do get stopped - be polite. Your attitude (and sobriety) will have the biggest influence on how picky the officer decides to be.

Sobriety is on my side. Quit drinking 3 years ago! :) And I'm real respectful when it comes to the law, I did my rebellious stage when I was younger. I'd much rather enjoy my boat and my family most importantly.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By definition, BLOCK letters means sans serif, not script, not old english, etc... Italicized block is still block.

THIS IS BLOCK
THIS IS BLOCK

THIS IS NOT BLOCK

==============

Some of the 'scripty' numbers on that website push the limits a bit, but technically, they're block letters, not script.

copied/pasted from the Illinois link above:
The registration number and expiration decals must be displayed as follows.

Number must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel.
Number must read from left to right on one line, starting with two capital letters—IL—followed by a space and four digits followed by a space and two capital letters, for example: IL 1234 AB.
Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
Number's color must contrast sharply with its background.
Decals must be placed on both sides of the bow after a space at the end of the number.

3" high BLOCK letters, contrasting color, pretty simple, and leaves lots of options open...

bekosh

Lieutenant

Here's a pretty good example from one of the sellers on ebay.
IMO All of these, except for number 3, would be acceptable.
492f_12.JPG
I've been told by the CG that as long as it's legible for them they won't bust your chops over it.
To get an idea of how legible it would be, print some samples out at the correct size then step back 30-40 feet and see if you can read them easily.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got it guys.. Thanks for the heads up!