Swivl-Eze Pylon - looking for mounting instructions

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
hi Guys, got a used one of these. I contacted Attwood and they don't see to have the instructions for them. Part 96008. Looks like this.

pylon.jpg

anyone have the instructions they could scan and post ? I'm mostly concerned about the recommend angle backwards of the rear pole. Going to back up the 2 front mounts with large washers and the rear mount with a stainless plate.

thanks !

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Swivl-Eze Pylon - looking for mounting instructions

hi Guys, got a used one of these. I contacted Attwood and they don't see to have the instructions for them. Part 96008. Looks like this.

View attachment 194721

anyone have the instructions they could scan and post ? I'm mostly concerned about the recommend angle backwards of the rear pole. Going to back up the 2 front mounts with large washers and the rear mount with a stainless plate.

thanks !

Ayuh,.... Just try it in several different positions on Yer boat,...

Whichever way looks the Best, probably is,...

Post some pictures if yer unsure....

Btw,... it's hard to beat plain ole plywood for a backer plate reinforcement.... ;)

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

do you think 3.5" rope clearance over the engine is enough ?

Here's the one on my Checkmate, hopefully the photo will be of some help. I personally don't think the angle of the front pole is a big deal. I used aluminum backing plates for all 3 legs. When I bought this as a project it just had steel washers on the underside and there was some stress cracking in the gel coat. As far as whether or not you have enough clearance over the engine, I think you'll be ok but you'll basically just have to try it and see.

T
aIMG_2756.jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

thanks guys! here is a pic of what I'm going to do - I think i will make some stainless mounting plates or at least 1/2 treated plywood. My dad's boat has a doc rail from the factory and it has the backwards angle. He pulls tubes with his, I'm not sure I'm that brave with my setup.

IMG_1260.jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had that same pylon that I installed in a 16' Glastron. Sorry no instructions. No photos either. 3.5" above the motor should be fine.

I will post a couple of shots of a second boat I had that came with similar pylon installed. On this boat the main post was mounted to threaded plate in floor of boat, passing up through a hole-saw hole in the splash well.
113258818.jpg

The support arms were spread wide - and I think an important thing is NOT mounting them in the middle of flat area that is likely to flex and oil can. Better toward a molded edge that will be more rigid.
359840518.jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for the pictures they were helpful! And nice boat ! By God's help I was able to get a copy of the instructions - actually of several models. I posted the one in question as pictures. But if someone tells me how, I can post the PDF's i created here. I gave the PDF's to Attwood / Swivl-Eze as well. Hope this will help someone else as the instructions were very useful.

pylon 96008_Page_1.jpgpylon 96008_Page_2.jpgpylon 96008_Page_3.jpgpylon 96008_Page_4.jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

I'm posting this in hopes it will help someone else...

I got it installed last weekend - it was a LOT of work to make a spot through the foam in the gunwales. I had some 1/4 thick stainless plates made for me at work - 15.00 for the steel... way over engineered, but this thing is solid.

1st plate is 3x4" what I put at the back points, the bigger plate 4x6" is what I put in the splash well to catch the 1/2 plywood supports - the splash well is on 1/4" thick where there is only fiberglass but 3/4 at the spots where there is wood. Made the back arms exactly 90 degrees. Came out really nice - going to try it this weekend!

IMG_1286.jpgIMG_1289.jpgIMG_1272.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Might want to fill that void between the hull and the plate.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

good suggestion - i think I will do that this weekend :)

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

epoxied a little piece of 1/2" treated wood to fill in the gap. tried out the pylon this weekend it worked great! I set it at 4" above the engine - I really could have even went a little lower - I was clearing the engine at least 6 inches when in actual use.

IMG_1304-2.jpg