G Tech pro

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I searched and didnt find anything. Has anyone used a G Tech or G Tech Pro ( newer model) on their boat?

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: G Tech pro

Never thought about it, but I might take mine out when I take my boat out next week and see what happens.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Why? Almost all of the functions of it will be useless. So the first problem is that it calculates horsepower based on losses that a wheeled vehicle has. Hull drag is an entirely different matter. The other big problem is that it works by using an internal accelerometer. in a vehicle, its reasonably accurate because the vehicle stays more or less level during acceleration. In a boat, you could easily have 20 or more degrees of bow rise during acceleration, the g tech will see this as acceleration, even if you aren't accelerating at all! If you hold your boat at the speed where it plows water, the gtech is going to think its accelerating at a fairly good clip!

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After further review, I disagree, I tried it and yes the numbers were skewed. However they are quantifiable numbers. So now I have a base line.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

They will work for relative numbers as long as you are only variable you are changing is the engine horsepower. Moving a heavy cooler to the front of your boat will get you on plane quicker, but in the gtech's world, you will actually have a LOWER hp boat. (the more time spent with the bow up in the air, the better, if you are a G-sensor recording acceleration.)