New Triton F/S heeling to one side. ???? (updated)

Bifflefan

Commander
So my brand new (2011 bought new last winter) Triton 190 Fish and Ski has started to lean to the drivers side to a great degree when coming off plane, and to a lesser degree when accelerating.
I really don't think its a weight issue as it will do it when there is no gear at all on the boat, or fully loaded.
Passenger loading and amount of passengers makes no difference, it does it every time.
The first two times it was out it did NOT do this, then just all the sudden started for no reason I can find.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: New Triton F/S heeling to one side. ????

If you put another person on the passenger side to balance off the live weight and it still does that, then you have an issue. That's possibly weight where it doesn't belong.
I hope it's not water inside the boat. But it could be. If it is that, get the manufacturer involved before any warranty expiration. Just in case it's something too big to take on yourself.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

assuming you don't have tabs?

NHGuy

Captain

That would be a short & quick solution!

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

How are you trimming it when you accelerate and come off plane? You should be trimming up as soon as the bow starts to drop when accelerating, and trimming down as you slow down.

You don't need tabs on that boat. They may help with the problem, but it would be band aid fix.

Also check and make sure the motor is installed correctly and not leaning to one side or crooked. You're boat is also under warranty to a trip to the dealer may not be a bad idea.

How are you trimming it when you accelerate and come off plane? You should be trimming up as soon as the bow starts to drop when accelerating, and trimming down as you slow down.

You don't need tabs on that boat. They may help with the problem, but it would be band aid fix.

Also check and make sure the motor is installed correctly and not leaning to one side or crooked. You're boat is also under warranty to a trip to the dealer may not be a bad idea.

i agree but if he does have smart tab or hydraulic tabs and one is stuck that would tilt the boat

Bifflefan

Commander

Trim makes no difference. It does it every time no matter where I put the trim.

Bifflefan

Commander

i agree but if he does have smart tab or hydraulic tabs and one is stuck that would tilt the boat

It would also list on and off plane at (almost) any speed.
This is only under deceleration.

Looking at this from a purely analytical perspective ;) it worked ok at first, then it suddenly went wrong. So something changed. The most likely culprit is the motor (cavitation plate? skeg? mounting?)
Is the boat in the water all the time, or trailered? Is it possible the (motors) lower section has been damaged??

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

bifflefan,

Give Triton a call. They have good support and I'm sure could give you some pointers. They may even send a engineer to look at your boat it the problem can't be found.

Bifflefan

Commander

Looking at this from a purely analytical perspective ;) it worked ok at first, then it suddenly went wrong. So something changed. The most likely culprit is the motor (cavitation plate? skeg? mounting?)
Is the boat in the water all the time, or trailered? Is it possible the (motors) lower section has been damaged??

No damage to anything.
The only thing that has changed is the prop. Swapped it for a higher pitch, then right back again.
So the first time it went crazy was with the higher pitch, then also with the lower one after that.

Bifflefan

Commander

bifflefan,

Give Triton a call. They have good support and I'm sure could give you some pointers. They may even send a engineer to look at your boat it the problem can't be found.

I have and they are great to work with.
They called my dealer and got me an appointment when I was told there wasn't one for at least a month.
Probably not going to buy a boat at that dealer again, even if they fix this one.

Bifflefan

Commander

Problem is fixed.

It turns out that there were two problems:

1, The jack plate was to low,
2, One of the trolling motor batteries was installed in the cranking battery spot.

After raising the engine almost 2" and swapping the batteries around it handles better, doesn't list when decelerating, goes faster, and is just all around a better boat to be on.

Glad you got it solved - but, the solution doesn't explain why it worked fine the first two times out?????

Glad you got it solved - but, the solution doesn't explain why it worked fine the first two times out?????

i thought the same thing so maybe the small list was exaggerated by the cavitation plate so when extra weight was added lowering the boat and the plate it became noticable (extra gas maybe)

Bifflefan

Commander

I was most likely the addition of fuel that made the problem worse. It only had about 19 gals on the first runs.
I also may not have noticed the problem the first time out, as it was about 50 degs and I was doing the engine break-in at that time.
That consists of running the engine at 3000 to 4500 rpm for an hour with the trim full down. I only really slowed down once and that was to put it on the trailer. And I was frozen stiff by then.