Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding part

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
after a lousy day on the water the other day I was putting my boat back on the side of the house. I lowered the wheel stand and started cranking it up to get it off my hitch. As I was turning it suddenly started to spin fast and obviously broke. I took the cover off and there is a little cotter pin style piece of metal that holds the handle to the gear inside the housing. Anyone know the name or where I can find a replacement pin to push back in? or am I out of luck and have to replace the whole thing?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding par

after a lousy day on the water the other day I was putting my boat back on the side of the house. I lowered the wheel stand and started cranking it up to get it off my hitch. As I was turning it suddenly started to spin fast and obviously broke. I took the cover off and there is a little cotter pin style piece of metal that holds the handle to the gear inside the housing. Anyone know the name or where I can find a replacement pin to push back in? or am I out of luck and have to replace the whole thing?

It is probably a split pin, drive it out and go to napa or any auto parts store.

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Broke the cotter type pin on my trailer landing gear crank, need help finding par

That kit on the link looks correct. It was a hollow piece of metal like those roll pins. Should be an easy fix if I can find the part. Went to an Advanced auto parts and they were completely clueless. I'll try another place tonight. Thanks.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have an Ace or Tru Value in your town they carry them. Otherwise you could try the big box Lowes or Home Depot stores, I think I've seen them there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also pick up a set of roll pin drivers... they are like punches but not tapered and are sized for the roll pins
cheap sets are under $10 at harbor freight or you can spend a couple more dollars and get american stuff

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

got the pin. the whole gearing ended up being broken. went to harbor freight and got the two wheel fifteen hundred pound Jack stand for $25. night and day, best thing I could've done.