Holding tank

kamano

Cadet
Aloha
OK some more dumb questions! I inherited a boat with a holding tank...and jabsco toilet. I note that the waste port is at the aft end of the sailboat. Now...I have always used a porta potti and not the holding tank type. Question!! How do I pump out the waste water and other stuffs? Do I stuff a hose down there and use a pump. I dont see any electrical connections to the holding tank so, I assume that a portable pump or (mascerator)some system must be used....(what a crappy situation) There looks as though the tank has clear water half full...Actually the tank looks new and so does the toilet!! (Hunter 25 2005 the book is no help just has a schematic)

BTW I only have slow dialup here on the Island of Hawaii (no service near the Volcano)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Holding tank

There should be a fitting on the deck to hook up a pump out fitting. Most marinas have the proper fittings and pump by their fuel dock,usually charge a fee for doing it,but do it free if ya are buying fuel and supplies.image.jpg

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aloha
There looks as though the tank has clear water half full...Actually the tank looks new and so does the toilet!!
If the liquid is clear and the tank looks new you might be looking at the fresh water tank.

Grub answered your questions about the pumpout (around here it's $5). I'd recommend having a few Clorox Wipes ready just in case.

kamano

Cadet

Mahalo for the reply...

We are a small harbor and no facilities or cleanout stations. Let me clarify about the "clear" should have been CLEAN. The cleanout is aft and I just wonder if there is a portable pump and not hot wired that I could use to somehow stuff a hose in there to empty the tank. There isnt another cleanout or gravity flow. So, Im guessing that I use a pump somehow. Any recommendations?

Mahalo and Aloha
Kamano

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hard to say exactly what you have and what your options are from here. Suggest you have somebody knowledgable look over the system for you.

Depending on how it's set up, you might have the option of pumping it directly into the water, as long as you're out beyond the limit (is it 3 miles?) offshore. That rule will vary depending on where you live, and what areas have been designated as 'no waste' zones. In my area, there are also 'pump out boats' in various locales- a phone call and they'll come to your boat and pump out the holding tank. Otherwise, you'd need to rig your own pump and macerator to draw the suff into a portable tank that you'd need to transport and empty... and where/how are you gonna empty it?

Rules for dealing with sewage on a boat are strict and well documented. Read up, then ask around locally. I'm sure there are plenty of boats in your harbor that need to address this issue.

My .02

kamano

Cadet

Capt

Mahalo for the advice. Most of the boats here are fishing and they use macerator pumps for cleaning and such. The boats are usually out at the 5-10 mile fishing spots so, no problem. 90% of the sailboats are in Kailua Kona (130 mi) from here. I just managed to get a spot above a bridge because my mast can come down and I am mostly trailerable. I opted for the fishing slip cause I live about 35 miles up the Volcano and it is a chore trailering the 5000lb boat up and down the mountain. Otherwise, the waiting list for sailboat slips is 3 years in our small harbor. I appreciate your reponse and the rest of the crew for helping. I asked a sailboat guy what he did and he rigged up macerator and pumps to a 5 gallon can and empties at the local on site toilet...."were there is a will there is a way"

Mahalo Nui Loa
Kamano