Steering System Upgrade

gener8s

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm really hoping someone out there can help me. The steering on my 2004, Bayliner185 has always been a little stiff. At higher speeds and on plane, it's fine, it's just at lower speeds it is difficult to turn the wheel, especially when docking (the dash creaks and the misses won't drive the boat because she can't dock it!). I have a non-power assisted alpha 1 gen 2. The original steering system is a teleflex rack and pinion set up. Has anyone here upgraded their steering to anything else? Is it even possible to add power assist after the fact? I've been also looking at hydraulic steering but it seems rather expenses for what you are getting and since the boat is a cottage runabout, i can't really justifiy the cost.
Thanks,
Dave

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering System Upgrade

Big T by Teleflex. sounds like that rack has seen better days.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering System Upgrade

Most boats to 17' have no steering assist it begins as an option in that range. It was standard on my EdgeWater. Adding a Sea Star outfit is around $800 - $1000 plus labor if you don't do it yourself. Not much else can help docking though. Has the steering become much more difficult over the past few years than when new? There could be a dry grease build up in the tube. Had an '04 Yamaha that I had to remove that stuff from after 6 years.