228 Mercury I/O motor (1980?) needs new bellows

igsavel

Cadet
Hi guys, what are you thinking about such situation.
I found adv:
Campion boat (1980) with 228 Mercury I/O motor , which "professionally maintained ... for many years", has "Everything you need to get you on your way, No need to buy anything!".
And its truth : 22' cruiser has even fly bridge and davits with " Hypolon Mercury dingy with 4 HP 4 stroke Mercury motor"....
Finally, "SOLD AS IS $6000----- needs new bellows..."

I am newbie and do not understand why guy selling boat for half price?
Is it so hard and expensive to change bellows in this motor?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 228 Mercury I/O motor (1980?) needs new bellows

Is it so hard and expensive to change bellows in this motor?

Depends on if you do it or pay someone but the real danger here could be other damage done by not having it replaced and all the costs associated with getting it ship-shape again.

Boat that old could have water damage that would be very expensive to repair.

Mark

Maclin

Admiral

Sellers want to sell. This version of that sentence is probably more accurate...:

"SOLD AS IS $6000----- needs AT MINIMUM new bellows..."

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Campion boat (1980) with 228 Mercury I/O motor , which "professionally maintained ... for many years", has "Everything you need to get you on your way, No need to buy anything!".

Sounds more like ""Everything will need to be replaced to get you on your way, Will need to buy everything!".

If the boat was actually maintained, the bellows would have already been replaced. You don't wait for a u-joint/driveline bellow to fail, you replace it BEFORE it fails. Otherwise, you're possibly looking at some costly repairs depending on what/if anything failed due to water intrusion, not to mention whatever else has NOT been "professionally maintained".

Edit: Also seems like $6k is an awful lot for a 30+ year old boat in unknown condition that you KNOW already needs repairs? Just a thought.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I think the price is high as well. It should be at the minimum price near $2500. The dingy and kicker will add to that price.

Bellows are $100+ to buy and a PIA to install.

Other normal replacement items on that type of motor are manifolds and risers ($500), U-joints (2X $50), Upper Grease Seals, and the normal stuff like water pumps. I/O also tend to need alternators, belts, circulating pumps and lots of little stuff.

That is likely a boat for an experienced boater who can replace those items himself, and can determine exactly what needs to be replaced.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Half price???????? $6000 is not half price for that size and age of boat. $3000 should be full price if everthing was perfect.

Needing a bellows also means it need a gimbal bearing, ujoints, drive yoke, there is water in the drive, and depending on how long the water was in the bellows, it may need a new transom shield as well.
Professionally maintained no, professional oil changes maybe.

RUN, don't walk from that boat.

igsavel

Cadet

OK thanks a lot...
Some more questions?
Is it possible to test motor and to find are there any serious troubles concerned with broken bellows without motor dismounting?
Can I do it myself, or professional mechanic can?
What do you say?

About price...., dinghy and o/b motor are two years old. Similar but older dinghy with motor cost $2500 on Kijiji http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Stroke-Yamaha-4HP-Outboard-W0QQAdIdZ464069139.

So, boat itself is about $3500-4000... Look more reasonable? Plus, take into account that I am in Canada.

How much could be cost of maintenance and reparation of such motor in marina? Just estimation...

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just because it has nice accessories doesn't mean it's a good deal...like putting makeup on a pig.

As everyone mentioned the mechanicals can be VERY expensive to repair and normally when you replace one part you notice another is shot and on and on.

Offer him money for the dinghy and motor and find another boat in better shape to use them on.

igsavel

Cadet

OK, owner said that stern drive was taken off at the time of winterization.
So, it is possible to see any damage from water intrusion, isn't it?
Marina mechanic ready to explain everything... It can help to make right decision?
O better be away from the boat anyhow?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you can't test run a 1980 boat on the water, then offer $1000 and hope you don't get burned too bad.

Forget what the owner said, it's a lie. All he wants is your money in his pocket.