Attaching Pedestal Seat on Aluminum Boat

Imawoman

Cadet
OK men this woman needs your advice.... I have a 1970 Aluminum Orlando Clipper. There was a pedestal seat mounted on the front bench seat but my chubby fishing partner with his weight broke the rivets that it was fastened with. There is no access to put bolts with nuts under the bench seat. Everyone tells me I have to have someone cut an access hole to be able to put nuts on the bolts but I would think that would weaken the bench seat. Would blind fasteners or well nuts be strong enough to hold and support the pedestal seat??? This boat has so many holes I hate to put any more in. Thanks for your advise!!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Attaching Pedestal Seat on Aluminum Boat

Well an easy fix, if you don't mind the cosmetics of it would be to cut a piece of 3/4' plywood to the width and length of the seat then position your seat base on the plywood were you want to mount it. Then at the hardware store pick up some Tee nuts and screws to fit the nuts and a length that will just reach to the bottom of the tee nut when the base is mounted.

After you have the base mounted to the plywood I would just rivet the plywwod onto the seat, spacing the rivets about evey 10" along both edges of the plywood.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Attaching Pedestal Seat on Aluminum Boat

Got Pics.? bench seats with a pedestal seat? usually not enough strength.