Installing pedestal bases: 5200 or no 5200?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I'm getting ready to install the pedestals for my boat seats. They will be attached to bases I built and fiberglassed into the deck:

P1020563.jpg

The bases were attached to the deck after the deck had been glassed. Each base has stainless steel T-nuts to receive the screws from the pedestal flange.

My question: should I (or should I not) use something like 3M 5200 to waterproof the holes in the seat bases? The deck itself is already protected since there are not thru holes beneath the seat bases. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of waterproofing the holes in the bases I built vs. making the screws impossible to remove should there be a need in the future.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Installing pedestal bases: 5200 or no 5200?

sounds to me like you pretty much understand the pro's and con's.... you COULD use 4200 instead.... it's not quite as bombproof as 5200

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There is another thought to your plan. I would use some epoxy in the threads and such simply because I would look at it as a one time mount. What I mean is the only way you would ever need to remove them would be for repair and that would probably be because of rot. So attach them with epoxy and forget about any leaks... JMHO...but make sure you use stainless steel hardware too. I like things to be tight and waterproof myself... And I'm not into 5200 adhesive like so many allude to on here...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

There is another thought to your plan. I would use some epoxy in the threads and such simply because I would look at it as a one time mount. What I mean is the only way you would ever need to remove them would be for repair and that would probably be because of rot. So attach them with epoxy and forget about any leaks... JMHO...but make sure you use stainless steel hardware too. I like things to be tight and waterproof myself... And I'm not into 5200 adhesive like so many allude to on here...

Stainless steel, of course. What's wrong with 5200? Other than that it's sticky and miserable to work with...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

sounds to me like you pretty much understand the pro's and con's.... you COULD use 4200 instead.... it's not quite as bombproof as 5200

True, just trying to see if there's anything I haven't thought of... if there's anything this project has taught me, there's always more to learn...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for sealing parts that might move slightly 5200 whoops epoxy's arse

saumon

Lieutenant

Go for 5200. Epoxy will crack and be useless on threads.

5200 isn't like welding, it can be removed but not as easily as 4200. Perfect for your application. Put a dab on the threads before screwing the base and it will seal and prevent screws to back out with vibration.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I don't see the need for any sealant.

How much water are you going to let get on your nicely restored boat? Do you plan to leave uncovered and exposed to the elements? Or will there just be water from wet people getting into your boat?