Varnish from plastic gas tanks

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been reading the forums and I want to make sure I dont put something in my plastic gas tanks that will eat them with the varnish. I have about 1/8 inch of it in the bottom of two 12g tanks. I wanted something I could put in let it sit for a few days then power wash it out.

I was thinking of using of of these:
Denatured Alcohol or rubbing
Lacquer thinner/acetone (might eat plastic)
E15 gas
Ammonia

[/B]

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Varnish from plastic gas tanks

I would expect the lacquer thinner or acetone will damage the plastic. Ammonia won't phase it , I would try the E15 since it's great at dissolving everything else gunky in the system.

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also just read that Simple Green might work pretty well, think im gonna try that or E15

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You won't find many things that will harm that type of plastic.

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You won't find many things that will harm that type of plastic.

K ya I was hoping that was the case, I just put some E85 gas in there. If that doesn't work would you think Acetone would work and how long would you soak it for?

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Using LYE to clean gas varnish

Using LYE to clean gas varnish

Wondering if anyone has tried using LYE to clean varnish from a Plastic gas tank. Do you think the lye would get hot enough to do damage to the tank or harm to the plastic?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Acetone might do something. Carb cleaner is a mix of several things hoping one of them works on the exact gunk you spray it on.

Put some marbles in there and shake them around.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Using LYE to clean gas varnish

Drop by a NAPA store and pick up a gallon of carb cleaner that will clean it. Thats what its made to do.

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good, ill power wash it after it sits in the e85 then try that Hawker if its still there. thx guys

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The E85 seemed to work pretty well. I let it sit in the tanks for 3 days and swished it around every day a few times then drained it and power washed it, most of the varnish is gone a enough for me to feel comfortable to put the tanks back in. Thought Id let anyone know that that does seem to work well.