Emergency Prop

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have grounded a few times, and used my prop to muscle out.
Fortunately my area is 99% mud.

I have a spare prop that I got from a yard sale/flee market for $5. I also have one of those plastic drain plug/prop wrenches from Bass Pro. I don't trust it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had to replace their prop while out there?

And how bad did it suk... Any surprises?

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Emergency Prop

If you don't know, change out your prop before you go out for practice. Make notes on what tools you need and make sure that they work and then keep everything you need in an onboard tool kit. Spare prop, shear pins, cotter pins, socket, needlenose and my favorite, a strong magnet tied to a string.

Mi duckdown

Commander

What hawkin posted. sucks is when you drop the prop nut. always carry a spare nut. learned that 40 years ago.

jdlough

I boat/live in the boonies. Plus side - no people. Minus - no Tow Boat or Sea Tow.

I've changed/cleaned the prop several times on the lift. I just wondered about any surprises far from shore.

Sounds like "don't lose the nut"

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I hope I never find out how hard it is while trying to tread water and get leverage.

I think key to success is to get to shallow water, 3' or less.
I have seen someone take their cooler, fill it 3/4 with water and place it under the lower unit to catch any dropped tools or parts. He had his son hold the cooler in place while he changed it out.

I don't like the plastic wrench either. I have one, but don't feel good about it.
I carry a 1/2" drive socket and wrench in the boat.

How's that magnet going to work if I drop the brass nylock nut? :(

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have done it in chest deep water, with the boat tied up to the dock. As long as you can touch bottom to stand, its as easy as doing it on land... Just dont drop anything.

Doing it in the deep end on the other hand, seems like no picnic, but still doable.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Yep a practice run is a great idea, I have lost an entire prop and nut in deep water, and it's not real hard to do if you know what youre doing. Plastic wrenches, not thinking good things about that, I've seen em break more than once.

oldjeep

Admiral

Laying on the engine cover with the motor all the way up works fine on an I/O if you need to do it in deep water. Get rid of the plastic wrench though and get a decent one (put a cord on it)

agallant80

Commander

Keep the plastic prop wrench but have a socket and breaker bar on board. Also keep an extra prop nut and locking washer and hub if you have one. I would also keep a block of wood on board to wedge the prop agains when you take the nut off. The block of wood is a must have for me even when changing the prop on land. Like others said make sure you know how to change it before hand and are not doing it for the first time in the water. I would also keep some parashoot line with me so I could tie things off until they are secure.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use a Merc plastic prop wrench. No problems removing even the most stubborn nut. The best part…………they float and they don't rust

Do yourself a favor; keep an extra prop spacer and a prop hardware kit onboard. It is a little awkward but I can change the prop on my outboard by standing in splash well. If the water is not cold, it is easier to put a life jacket on and jump in to make the swap.

BTW: Remember, take your prop off and grease the shaft at least once a year. You’ll be thankful if you ever have to change your prop on the water

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have changed props all my life and never used a "prop wrench" and I don't even know what one is. Channel lock pliers do just fine. But I also don't crank my prop down so hard I can't unscrew it; I line up the holes when it gets tight and stop.

You got to have a prop nut, since a likely need for the spare prop is after yours comes aloose. Spacers are not crucial in an emergency. But if you can pick some up at a boat junk yard/abandoned motor/yard sale may as well.

The block of wood is important but in a pinch there are things on board you could wedge in there. I carry a small hammer, too.

I think I could change one hanging over the back as I have gone back there to unwind fishing line and even crab pots, but it's a long reach so better to work from shore/shallow/another boat if it's available (think about it--you are more likely to have a prop event in shallow near shore water).

I grew up with an 18 with shear pins, so I carried shear pins, cotter pins, needle nose and most important a nail punch and small hammer--they often break off and leave a section jammed in the shaft hole.

oldjeep

Admiral

I have changed props all my life and never used a "prop wrench" and I don't even know what one is. Channel lock pliers do just fine. But I also don't crank my prop down so hard I can't unscrew it; I line up the holes when it gets tight and stop.

You got to have a prop nut, since a likely need for the spare prop is after yours comes aloose. Spacers are not crucial in an emergency. But if you can pick some up at a boat junk yard/abandoned motor/yard sale may as well.

The block of wood is important but in a pinch there are things on board you could wedge in there. I carry a small hammer, too.

I think I could change one hanging over the back as I have gone back there to unwind fishing line and even crab pots, but it's a long reach so better to work from shore/shallow/another boat if it's available (think about it--you are more likely to have a prop event in shallow near shore water).

I grew up with an 18 with shear pins, so I carried shear pins, cotter pins, needle nose and most important a nail punch and small hammer--they often break off and leave a section jammed in the shaft hole.

A channel lock pliers? You are never allowed near anything I own - ever ;)

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw a guy swap a prop almost 10 miles offshore once. He'd hit something partially submerged and dinged the prop pretty bad but had everything to change it. He calmly put a dry suit on and jumped over the side while his buddy handed him tools etc all tied to cords in case he dropped something. Made it look easy but I'm sure it wasn't 'cause his boat was bouncing around as bad as mine.
I now cary everything but the dry suit and promise myself to practice a prop swap in a warm lake but so far, I have always had an excuse not to jump in. Maybe this summer.....

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rely on a breaker bar and deep socket - can't go wrong with that unless you drop it in deep water. I've broken several of the plastic ones, maybe the Merc one has better quality control on their plastic. You'll also need a pliers for cotter pin, if you have one. I carry a Leatherman for that.

For a spare prop, I carry one that's useable. In other words, my spare is the exact same prop as the one on the outboard, but it is 1" pitch difference. That way I can change props based on whether I'm running light or heavily-loaded with people and gear. Best of both worlds.

You might also think about carrying a spare prop hub, if your prop uses those.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to do it in the summer once when I was about 18-19. My buddy and I took my dad's boat (of cousre he knew we borrowed it :facepalm:) on Lake St. Clair. We ran 12-13 miles to the shipping channel and promptly busted the shear pin. So there we are in about 2-3 foot waves, busted pin, no cell phone, way to close to where those really big boats go... We took our shoelaces off and tied them to all the tools and everything we could. At the time, I didn't swim a stroke so I tried talking my buddy into jumping in. Well he didn't. Yes it SUCKS! Even in the summer that water couldn't have been 70 degrees.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have changed a prop on the water in an I/O. Drive all the way up. I carry all the necessary tools (plus a wood block) and a complete prop assembly including all required parts.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when my daughters were 13 I let them go off in the whaler with the 18 (same as my sisters and I did at that age--same boat and motor in fact) but before they could use the boat, among other things, I made them change a shear pin. It's no different than making them jump start a car before they are allowed to drive.

I figured they would sweet talk some boys into fixing whatever but at least they knew what to do. Instead when stuff happened they's just go on and fix it, to show the boys who was boss.

And at first, there were no cell phones, but they had a paddle and its batteries never gave out, and it worked fine if you dropped it overboard.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A channel lock pliers? You are never allowed near anything I own - ever ;)

I hear you--but I can set the jaws at 90* to the nut faces and it doesn't hurt the nut at all. Wouldn't do it to small nuts--I have inherited my share of rounded-off bolt heads from "mechanics" at the hunt club.

I might carry a spare socket that fits and breaker bar, but over salt water, not likely a ratchet--it would turn into a breaker bar, like those one-size crescent wrenches you find in the bottom of a salt water boat's compartments.

For catching things that may drop--I've floated fine-mesh nets under work areas, and also have "fishing magnets" around. But don't ask me how I know, pliers that aren't as insulated as they look don't float, if suddenly flung away from a hot spark plug cord.

jayhanig

I boat/live in the boonies. Plus side - no people. Minus - no Tow Boat or Sea Tow.

I've changed/cleaned the prop several times on the lift. I just wondered about any surprises far from shore.

Sounds like "don't loose the nut"

Probably do better to tighten it. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)