Soft scrub for oxidation

Westwind

Cadet
Someone was telling to use SoftScrub to remove oxidation from a boat. Anyone ever hear of this?

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soft scrub for oxidation

Is you boat painted or jell coat? No never heard of using it, washing with anything will help

KRS

Banned

I have read many other forums that say NO NO NO :eek: . Don't know why other than they say it is tooo abrasive. I use Meguiar's polish / scratch remover, it comes in a black tube. It works really well. As for soft scrub, leave it for the tub. :cool:

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem with SoftScrub is that it contains bleach as well as an abrasive. Gel coat is not as tough as ceramic tile and, IMO, will be degraded by continued use of SoftScrub.

borourke

Seaman

I have been told to use softscrub on the inside fiberglass of the boat, but not the outside. Was actually going to buy some today. Anyone have any thoughts on using softscrub on the inside glass?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Softscrub is not really abrasive any more.Is is used on plastic and fiberglass tubs and does not scratch.I use it on the floors and inside of my boat all the time and it works great.If your gelcoat is badly oxidized and waxing or polishing wont get it to shine then i would give it a try.It is probably not a great choice but what the heck anything you use will require a polishing and a top coat of waxing when you are done anyway so why not try it.I would avoid the softscrub with bleach and only use the one that says it is recommended for fiberglass and plastic tubs .Let us know how it works ,maybe you are on to something....Charlie

Tom 47

Cadet

Try Bon-Ami I have used it. It is not supose to scrach. Worked well.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use Soft Scrub w/ bleach on all my non-skid; with a deck brush. It does a great job of cleaning the stains (white boat). It does leave the fiberglass pores open, and susceptible to more staining, but what the heck, it works on those too.<br /><br />Can't say I've tried it on the hull.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I use soft scrub on bicycles to remove rust on chrome and paint,to refurbish clear and opaque plastics and carefully on paint to remove minor scratches and other paint deposits.<br /> I have even used it on vinyl saddles and the coating on brake cables and the like. I think it is fantastic.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try some penetrol it will bring thr shine right out and its easy !

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go do a search at www.flood.com and then go to the flood company that makes penetrol, they will also find the nearest outlet in your erea. You can also find marine penetrol maybe even at walmart or at a paint shop or marine shop. <br />As for my boat the metal flake part of my boat was badly faded along with the painted parts as well. Penetrol brought out the shine and gives it some protection as well its not a long range fix or perfect smooth finish but it sure made my boat look good! Make sure your finish is clean and dry and do it indoors if possible, Just apply a healthy amount on a clean rag and apply , you can either buff it out after 5 mins or just let it dry but that might leave streaks. GOOD LUCK !

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

3M makes a very fine marine product that is for oxidized finishes with a polish and wax all in one. I have used it with success. I still over coat it with a good carnuba wax though.

mattttt25

Commander

i've used soft scrub on the entire deck of my fiberglass boat, and it's one of the best products i've used. if you are concerned with the bleach, they do sell a soft scrub without bleach.