Bayliner element

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bayliner element

16' boat for around $12k; good starter boat I'd say with a Mercury outboard. Should be fun.

I bought, back in '83, a Bayliner 16' bowrider and loved it. Of course price back then was less than $6500.

Mark

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

IMHO, its a very impractical boat. Its use is just too limited.

For only $200 more you could get a 16' Bowrider. It has a full windshield and the ability to up in HP if that's an issue for you.

If its a crisp Spring or Fall day but the sun is shining, we go out anyway. Just close the windshield, snap on the walk-thru curtain and we're good to go. In the Element surely the Admiral would say its too cold to go boating.

On a hot Summer day when that unexpected 5' rainstorm happens, simply put up the Canvas and everybody stays comfy. In the element surely the kids would be crying Daddy Im wet and cold.

ziggy

Admiral

imho, for just a plain speed boat, a day tripper on the local lake. it looks good to me. the other option would be a glastron gt160. last year i think. closed bow. i think i'd go for that first. but that's just me. i like a small 16' boat. generally highly maneuverable. 40mph seems like 50 since its their small boats.
i was bummed at my local boat show this year. they did'nt have a element there. was my primary reason for going. anyways. looks like a small maneuverable, speedboat to me. back the the basics. less stuff to break down.
if either of these boats are made wood free, it'd be the icing on the cake to me.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like a decent first boat that might set the boating hook in its owner, and leave them wanting to upgrade after a season or two.

The aethetics are gonna be a love it or leave it sorta thing. Definitely not for everyone. Looks like a 90's-early 2000's jet boat.

That $12k price is sure to be a completely stripped model with no options. The 12 gallon gas tank seems silly to me. There are more capable boats available for a few thousand more, even new. Stingray has the 191RX, for example, with a 90hp outboard for $18k, including trailer. I'm sure there are other good choices as well.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, wonder what you actually get for $12K plus sales tax?
I have only owned one boat w/o a windshield, and said, never again. But then I only paid $160.00 that thing. I enjoy being on the water, not having it sprayed all over me, and boats w/o windshields just don't work here in Michigan.
If I was spending $12K I can think of many many other options.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The gas tank is not a permanent one either. plastic just like in a jon boat.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its a cool lil boat. Good for someone/small family to get into boating. I'm sure experienced boaters can all look at it and find something they personally don't like about it. The layout of the boat seems good for a small family (2 adults and a couple of young kiddies). The 60hp offering is probably a little underpowered, but should suffice depending on your load/gear. Looks like it'd be an easy sell to a family member or friend when you finally decide you want to upgrade.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Your going to want to get the bimini if you plan to spend any time on the water. No tops in the pictures, probably makes it look less "sporty". It is listed as an option.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Talked to the dealer around here. The sales guy asked what i wanted and what i was replacing. He actually surprised me in telling me that i would be unhappy with the element or a 3.0l motor. I have never rode in or driven ( do you drive a boat lol) a 3.0l. I wish there was a dealer close enough to take a boat out to see. I really need to look at it from the point of i am not getting younger and will i water ski in 5 to 10 years. Knee board sure but it really is going to come down to the Kids.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I looked at the Element at the boat show in January. It didn't tickle my fancy. Very little instrumentation, smallish windshield and only at the helm. If I remember the 60 O/B was factory rigged. It just seemed too "something isn't quite right" to me.

Now the 2012 leftover he quoted me (forget what model BL) for a few $ more was a better boat in my eyes. Nah - It stayed there.

Ampangelapruitt

Recruit

My boyfriend and I just bought this boat. I've never been on a boat, so this is a perfect lil vessel for us. True, there are not many bells and whistles, but everyone I've talked to, said the bells and whistles always end up breaking. Tons of storage, I love that the gas tank is removable. We don't have to tow a boat to the gas station or transfer from tank to tank. It's not super fast, tops out at 35 mph with just us in it. Plenty fast enough for a tuber. My dealership can't keep these boats on the lot. We ordered in Feb and just got it last week. It's meant to be a starter boat... Yes, we'll probably upgrade in a few years.

We love the boat.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a fun boat and probably good on gas which is a plus.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Wait a year or 2 if you want one of these. They are going to sell a lot of them and many will soon be up for sale. 6 people-- only if a teenager and 5 juveniles with a 60 hp. It needs a 90 minimum and preferably a Yamaha. Catch the Bimini option price? Get it aftermarket. Going to be a cold ride for everyone in all but the warmest weather. You get what you pay for and in this instance, not much. Not knocking Bayliner they are NOT as bad as they used to be but this model is just not going to keep many buyers happy for long.

agallant80

Commander

I think the boat fits the market of a family that wants a boat and dad does not know the business end of a screwdriver. Im sure there was tonnes of market research Bayliner did before deciding to make the capital investment in creating a new boat. I can think of many people in the office that want a boat and just want a turn key type of boat that they can tow with their minivan. This looks perfect for someone like that. I mean what do you really need to do to this thing? Put gass in it, change the oil once a year and go. Its an O/B so you don't need to winterise it.

Alabama coast

Recruit

I think the boat fits the market of a family that wants a boat and dad does not know the business end of a screwdriver. Im sure there was tonnes of market research Bayliner did before deciding to make the capital investment in creating a new boat. I can think of many people in the office that want a boat and just want a turn key type of boat that they can tow with their minivan. This looks perfect for someone like that. I mean what do you really need to do to this thing? Put gass in it, change the oil once a year and go. Its an O/B so you don't need to winterise it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I hadn't thought about the lack of windshield. I'm looking for something small that can be towed with car or small truck. May wait until end of next summer and scoop up a used one.

oldjeep

Admiral

A lot of guys over on the BOC really seem to like them. Windshield on most small bow riders seem to just be there for looks since you have to look over them if you are not a member of the lollipop guild ;)