Boat Rating for Outboard HP

Biggwg

Recruit
My question is, if my boat is rated for a 25hp max, can I put any 25hp on it, like a heavy 4 stroke, that weight about 200# more than my 2 stroke 25?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat Rating for Outboard HP

there are two different issues here. the hp rating is about speed only. there is also a weight rating ("4 people or 800 pounds" for example; and it's "or" not "and"). For most small boats the motor counts toward the pounds.* So if you add a heavy motor you have to decrease your cargo or passengers.
I doubt your 4 stroke weighs 200 pounds more than the 2 stroke, which is about 115#.
If it weighs 200, then there's an 85# difference
another issue with a heavier motor is your boat's design. If it was designed for a lighter 2 stroke, it might sit too low with more weight (it will sit lower). You can test this with your 2 stroke plus some weights in the amount of the difference. If it's 85# that could be significant back there.

*Some larger boats' rating tag shows max cargo weight in addition to the standard motor for that rig

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat Rating for Outboard HP

Good info, HC.

For the record, a 25hp 4-stroke Yamaha weighs 170, the 25 hp Merc weighs 157. The OP can put 50 extra lbs. in the stern of his boat and see how it reacts.

My .02