Will adding window tint to windshield cut down on dash glare?

jserr68594

Seaman Apprentice
My boat has a white dash (Gel coat) and is creates a horrible glare on the windshield. Would it be helpful to add tint? Does anyone have a picture of their boat with tint?

Thanks!

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Will adding window tint to windshield cut down on dash glare?

Tinting a windshield on a boat or a car would not be recommended.

Is this GLARE from the Deck in front of the Windshield?
Or a REFLECTION off the Dash behind the Windshield?

Darken the dash not the windshield.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do NOT tint your windows! Unless you plan on NEVER having to navigate at night time. As Uncle Willie said, darken the offending dash. Use a flat black spray paint. Here is the very simple reason why you shouldn't tint a boat windshield. At night, any light behind the glass (from your driving perspective) will be reflected in the glass like a mirror, and that is all you will see. NOT the water/obstacles in front of you. So you wind up having to navigate standing up to look over the windshield.

chriscraft254

Commander

Like already stated, darken your dash with black. You don't have to use paint. They sell self adhesive black vinyl that can be cut to the shape you need and trimmed. I have it on my dash and it works great.

TilliamWe

Banned

Darken the dash not the windshield.

+4 on this advice. ANd they've given you good ways to do it. Or just lay a dark colored towel on it, during the day.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have tinted my windshield before and it is fine, but I never look through my windshields. I am always above them. Very common to see tinted windshields on our lake.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... A tinted windshield becomes a Mirror after dark.....

Friscoboater

Captain

I am never out on cool nights. I would not do this on my big cruiser, but on my ski boat, for sure! It looks awesome!

The OP never said what boat he had. Most people on this forum have small bow riders and that is what I am going with.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have tinted my windshield before and it is fine, but I never look through my windshields. I am always above them. Very common to see tinted windshields on our lake.

Same here... I see LOTS of boats with fairly dark window tint. It absolutely does help during bright conditions. Seeing a boat after dark is almost unheard of on the river I'm on, far too dangerous and it tends to get cold at night. I personally have been out at night a grand total of ONCE in the last 5 years. (in a pontoon with good GPS trails)

jserr68594

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input everyone!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

22712boat.jpg
I look over the top of My Glastron (Jay's sold it to me.) Windshield Day AND night.
I wear polarizd sunglasses day and wrap around clear saftey glasses high speed at night.
But I have swallowed plenty o bugs.

TilliamWe

Banned

I'm not sure he has to decided. ;) He's gotten the input from all sides, and he's going to make a decision that suits his needs. Maybe he'll let us know after it's done? No biggie, though! :)