First time boat buyer: What's the boat equivalent to a 10 year old Honda Accord?

fonnie23

Cadet
I am looking to buy a 16' - 20' powerboat for a little family fun. I have never owned a power boat before, and so I really have no idea where to start. I don't want to buy anything too nice, because I figure I'll hit the dock a few times :facepalm:. I currently drive a 10 year old Honda Accord... It's extremely reliable and easy to drive, but not the greatest thing to look at. What's the powerboat equivalent of this? What are the brands or models that I should be looking for? I don't need anything fancy.

I am hoping to be able to seat 4 kids and 4 adults, and willing to spend up to $8K.

Thanks!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First time boat buyer: What's the boat equivalent to a 10 year old Honda Accord?

16 feet won't seat 8, you'll need 20 feet or more for that. I'd look for a well-maintained older boat with
Mercruiser or Volvo Penta power by a high quality builder. Bryant and Cobalt come to mind. Bear in mind, a 20 foot boat is going to weigh upwards of 4500 lbs on a trailer and will require a substantial tow vehicle.

Want to add: brand new power boats are not going to be a worry free like a 10 year old Accord. Boats are just not at all like cars. An $8000 used boat will require repairs and maintenance that can be quite costly if you can't do the work yourself. Might even be quite costly if you can do the work yourself.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: First time boat buyer: What's the boat equivalent to a 10 year old Honda Accord?

8K and hold 8 people - and be as reliable as a car - Good luck. You are obvously going to need a bowrider to seat that many people and I am guessing in the 20'+ range - Any older boat you find check it out for ANY soft spots in the floor, That can spell the kiss of death for a newbie. Look for MerCruiser or Volvo but stay away from the MerCruiser 470 - Ford based aluminum block with a iron 460 head - Not a lot of support or people that know how to work on them.

Take a look through the restoration forums and see what started out as a soft spot & turned into a complete gut. I would be looking for a boat that was stored inside if at all possible. And the maintaince will be a lot more than you are sticking into that accord in a year. Also, Don't expect 35 Mpg - More like 2 Mpg (if you are lucky)

Also, What do you have to pull it with?

Not trying to discourage you, Just passing on some advice.

LK

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don?t believe that there is a boat equivalent. Boats are nothing like cars and they age differently.

Just remember that the top of the line family boats (inboard/outboard) will have the same engine and outdrive as the bottom of the line.

I also agree that you need at least 20?. I have a 20? (well 19.5?) and can accommodate 8 people but there is little room to maneuver.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A deck boat will carry more people in smaller sizes because of the layout. They perform similarly to a bowrider and used ones cost about the same. Best you can do is look for a boat that has been well cared for and get someone knowledgeable to check it out for you before buying. Brand is not as important as the upkeep.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am looking to buy a 16' - 20' powerboat for a little family fun. I have never owned a power boat before, and so I really have no idea where to start. I don't want to buy anything too nice, because I figure I'll hit the dock a few times :facepalm:. I currently drive a 10 year old Honda Accord... It's extremely reliable and easy to drive, but not the greatest thing to look at. What's the powerboat equivalent of this? What are the brands or models that I should be looking for? I don't need anything fancy.

I am hoping to be able to seat 4 kids and 4 adults, and willing to spend up to $8K.

Thanks!

Depending where you boat a Pontoon boat may be better for you. You would get more room and Pontoon boats rarely have any problems. We have owned 3 of them and never had one problem.
I can't say them same thing for the 15 Power boats that we had over the past 40 odd years.

Good luck, boating is a great life style.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Depending where you boat a Pontoon boat may be better for you.

Unless you will be doing a lot of watersports, this is an excellent idea. You can get a lot of pontoon for 8K and the 8 people will be a lot more comfortable. I'm also biased to outboard motors.

Otherwise, try the deck boats, one with OB power may be moe "accord" like. I have a 19'er that is rated for 10 people but is pretty cramped at 8.

southkogs

Staff member

Good analogy - but it doesn't translate quite as well with boats: weight and balance and efficient use of space are completely different (sorta' like with airplanes vs. cars). However, the basics of your question are: I want to start out cheap and reliable, pretty is not a major concern. And that is (IMHO) the best way to start out boating.

Budget set at $8K - first hurdle covered. And, BTW that's plenty to get a good boat. (I've actually never spent that much on a boat before :))

Most 18' - 22' boats are rated to hold 8 people, BUT ... it'll be snug with that many on board (especially when you add water toys, coolers, towels, etc., etc.) If you're thinking your family plus taking friends out, consider how often you'll do that and that'll tell you how critical the "snugness" is.

Personal opinion - once you get bigger than about 24', it's a much steeper learning curve for a new boater. Not that one can't do it, but I think it's harder on the learner. I also believe that it's easier to learn on an outboard, but there won't be many of those in 18' - 22' - and it's not that big of a deal.

Brand means nothing (or very little) in used boats. Care and condition are key. Aluminum boats will likely be in better (structural) condition and require less care, but fiberglass boats are much more plentiful and (well cared for) last a long time too. I've always owned fiberglass, myself. For I/O's, keep yourself in newer Mercruiser or Volvo units. There are a couple of drives that are now obsolete and add a level of difficulty (see the one in my signature :D)

BTW - Welcome aboard!

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, I'll give my thoughts . . .

look at 10-15 year old boats 20-22 feet

500 - 750 hours on the engine

these brands:
SeaRay, Chaparral, Regal, Wellcraft, Grady-White, Baja, Donzi,

that is about as close as I can come to a 10-year old Honda Accord analogy.

something in the 16-19 foot range would be a Civic rather than an Accord.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the body of water like where you'll be using the boat? If it has lots of waves, either due to weather or lots of boats, the bigger the better. As spdracr39 suggested a deck boat sounds like the way to go. Pontoon boats have the room but can be handful docking for first time boaters, especially in the wind. If you plan of water sports with that many aboard you'll need a fairly big engine so keep that in mind. As other have stated you'll need a good tow vehicle if trailering... deck/pontoon boats in the 20 - 22'' size usually weigh around 3000 lbs in addition to 1000 lbs for the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thanks!

Define "family fun".

fishing?
watersports?
cruising?
going FASSSSSTTTTT ! ?

Define the waters you will be using it on.
Rivers, small lakes under 600 acres, medium lakes, large lakes over 5000 acres, ocean or ICW.

And, what is your location? Colorado? Florida?

What's the powerboat equivalent of the Accord? a nice pontoon with an Evinrude 90 hp outboard.

fonnie23

Cadet

Thanks! I would define "Family fun" as a little bit of tubing, maybe some water skiing as the kids get older. Nothing major. We're in the northeast, on a lake of ~500 acres, but it's a long, narrow lake.

All of these replies makes me realize that I may need some professional help (in more ways than one!). I wish I could hire a consultant to seek this thing out for me... Are most boat yards honest, or are they like used car dealers? I'm guessing that there is probably a wide range...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What's the boat equivalent to a 10 year old Honda Accord?

A 5 yr. old Bayliner.:laugh:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

500 acres? That's less than 1 square mile. Long, narrow lake, so say 1/4 mile wide by 3-4 miles long? It doesn't sound to me like there'd be enough room for water sports, but I'm not a lake boater.

Rough water won't be a factor, so you're considerations will be enough room for the crowd, and enough speed for sports. I agree in thinking a deck boat might be a good bet. How will you keep it? Docked or trailered?

If you haven't already, you need to start window shopping. Look at LOTS of boats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A pontoon with a larger motor should fit your needs.

Also a deck boat, but then you add the worries of hull integrity and internal stringer and transom rot, along with the extra weight which will mean the need for more horsepower.

Or you could go conventional bow rider, like a 20' Bayliner with a 305 and a Mercruiser outdrive, about $5000.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe the best thing to do is rent different style boats before buying

tpenfield

Staff member

I have always thought of pontoon boats to be the marine equivalent to a mini van :noidea:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If you live on a 500 acre lake, I would recommend getting a smaller boat and take turns taking people out. A 20 foot V-hull on a 500 acre lake is overkill and will generate wakes that will probably irritate the other boaters on the lake. A 17 foot outboard powered bowrider is about as simple (Accord-like) as you can get for a V-hull that's family friendly. If that's not an option, I love the idea of a pontoon with a big engine for your needs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

consider a boat that won't hold 8, but a way that a group of 8 can spend a day on the water. While some of the group are at the pier/beach/island, others are on the water. to trap eight people for 8 hours on a small boat on a small lake is just inhumane.

But if you must, get a layout with as much open space. I don't nkow deck boats but they sound good. Pontoons aren't good for water sports (you don't take the accord off-road four wheeling, either. boats have limited function). A carolina skiff or its clones are the best boats for maximum space, capacity and low cost. The WORST floor plan for space is a bowrider with an inboard.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I disagree with the statement that pontoon boats aren't good for water sports. There are high performance tritoons out there that run 45+ mph (mine's closer to 39 mph) and turn like a v hull. I regularly pull a tube behind mine without any problem and that's with six aboard. While I haven't tried pulling a skier yet I'm confident I wouldn't have any issues there as well. I put a 150 hp on it with this in mind and to cruise at 20 mph. I boat on a slightly larger lake called Winnipesaukee so a larger boat is needed ;) Given the op's original requirements a used deck boat is a good match.