How to Bed Bow Eye Backing in 5200?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'm in the process of installing a new backing piece (laminated plywood) for my bow eye. It will fit into the "V" of my aluminum hull's stem. I've shaped it to a good fit and plan to slather it with 5200 when I assemble it so the 5200 will fill any gaps and also tie the whole thing together.

In the past, when I've used silicone compounds for similar applications, the drill was to firm up the fasteners till the silicone just began to ooze out, wait till the silicone set up and then tighten the fasteners.

Same drill with 5200? Final tightening after a week or so? Or other procedure?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: How to Bed Bow Eye Backing in 5200?

From what I've heard, 5200 will become part of the boat (permanent). So future work will have to be done around it. 4200 will do the same job with less permanence.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

From what I've heard, 5200 will become part of the boat (permanent). So future work will have to be done around it. 4200 will do the same job with less permanence.

The original bow eye was in for 30 years, so if I can get similar life from the new one and the backing I'm installing it won't be necessary to remove it during my lifetime. While I might replace the "U" that forms the new eye, I can't envision a situation where I would want to remove the backing piece I've fabricated.

Anyways, I have a small tube of 5200 that I paid $12 for at West. It's been opened and I used a small amount on another project. Thrifty Yankee that I am, I want to get some use of the remainder before it goes bad.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Silicone needs more structure than a pure adhesive so just tighten it up with 5200 and make sure the backing is pushed down where the bolts are not. Checking it later is always a good idea but you might find the nuts are glued also.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

First thing... wear latex gloves then slather, position, tighten the dog snot out of it and strike the edges with your finger where the 5200 has squeezed out. Let it set and cure, then forget about it.

Have you sealed your backer piece with urethane or epoxy resin already?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

First thing... wear latex gloves then slather, position, tighten the dog snot out of it and strike the edges with your finger where the 5200 has squeezed out. Let it set and cure, then forget about it.

Have you sealed your backer piece with urethane or epoxy resin already?

Ok, so consensus seems to be to just torque it down when I assemble it.

Yes, the backer has been saturated with a penetrating epoxy and top coated with West 105.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Tighten it down right away. Tip: If no rubber gloves or even with them. Dip your finger in some soapy water before you smooth the 5200 down. Makes it look nice and won't stick to your finger. Dish soap is fine.