Swivl-Eze seats/ base

newt5005

Seaman
I just purchased an older Tracker boat (15') and it came with Swivl-Eze seat system. The issue is that the previous owner hacked (literally) the pedestals down to lower the overall height of the seats.
Fine for him, not so much for me. I was able to remove all the pedestals except the one for the driver position (thanks to iboats forums) by wiggling until free. The driver's post is NOT going to come out, which brings me to my question. Are the seat bases screwed into the (raised) floor, or through-bolted. I have wiggled the post so much, at this point, the base is actually starting to (slightly) loosen from the floor.
If I can unscrew the base, I can either pound out the post and reinstall the old base or buy a new one and install.. If the base is bolted down, then I will have to remove the floor, another project in itself.
Thanks.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Swivl-Eze seats/ base

What model pedestal system are we talking about? Are they the 3/4 pin pedestals(not recommended for helm seat btw)?

newt5005

Seaman

Wedge base. 2" for the rear and front, the larger (2 1/2"?) for the driver and pass.

BonairII

Commander

Get on Attwood site(they own swivl eze)....maybe you'll be able to identify which setup you have, and how it operates.

newt5005

Seaman

Yea, that doesn't work as well as one might think. Lotsa info....none helpfull on this topic. Everything about their system...except how it anchors to whatever deck you happen to have. Tried the Tracker site as well. Site down for updates. Just my luck.

Mike

Floridaguy32514

Seaman Apprentice

Im not familiar with these seats, but have you tried soaking the whole thing in PB Blaster and letting sit then trying again? Or at last resort if you cannot remove the base, cover around it with something thick and fireproof and apply some heat and see if it comes loose?

BonairII

Commander

Def try the PB Blaster etc before trying heat and/or brute force

UncleWillie

Captain

From the Attwood Web Site.

How do I get my pedestal out of the floor base? It?s stuck and I can?t turn it?
If your pedestal systems are not removed and maintained on a regular basis they will get difficult to remove. First thing to try is lubricate the area where the post and floor base connect. Using a strap wrench or similar tool, try twisting the post back and forth. Once it turns you should be able to work it up and out of the base.

newt5005

Seaman

....and the answer is...
I call them cage nuts. They are nuts embedded into the plywood from the bottom with 3 semi-pointed sheet metal wedges. As they grab traction half way through the plywood, they could be stronger. I have never heard of a chair coming loose, so it looks like one of those "good enough" systems.
Anyway, with the age and prior usage, the cage nuts were seized to the screws and they ended up turning inside the plywood rendering them useless. I finally ended up removing the flooring to find this out.
After buying one new base and enough stainless bolts, washers and nuts for all 4 bases, I'll put the whole thing back together like I think it should have been. O yea and with new carpet.
All together the fix will be just over a C note with carpet, new base and hardware. Not bad I guess.
mike

newt5005

Seaman

Thanks to the responses on removing the post from the base. A post mortem look at the offending connection reveled substantial corrosion. that bad boy was NEVER going to come out. Looks like I actually saved time.....this time.... by removing the floor. The law of averages finally caught up with me.