Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

agallant80

Commander
Because I work from home, and its quiet today and I am having very bad boat ADD and the weather has been bad so all I can do is play with boat stuff not the actual boat I went out today and bought a Ryobi 2,200 Watt Generator at Home Depot. Fired it up on my porch and I was amazed how quiet it was. It got a bit nosy when I plugged the woman's hair dryer in to it and turned it on max but I think it will work fine to run the AC and battery charger and hot water heater (not all at the same time) I know of the dangers of having a generator on board. I do not plan on sleeping with it on. I have a C02 detector in the cockpit and two in the cabin. I am going to put the boat in the lake this weekend and try to run the A/C with it. I'll check back in and let you know how it does.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

Please let us know how that genny works out. I have thought about buying one just wasn't sure about Ryobi.

agallant80

Commander

Well first impression is it seams to be light weight and well constructed. It stinks of gas after turning it off. I took off the access pannels and cant find any leeks but its bad. I will tinker with it tonight.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'll be surprised if Ryobi's 2200 watts will run any air conditioner. The wattage rated is 2200 watts at starting time, and continuous 1800 watts. I don't know what kind of air conditioner you're going to be running.

Many RV type air conditioners show a minimum 2500 watts continuous to run them.

Ryobi's website says, "this portable inverter is parallel-kit capable, so for larger power demands you can link two Ryobi Inverters together for twice the power."

You can buy two of the Ryobi generator units for the cost of one Honda generator. Buy two and the cable kit, and you're in good shape.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I am going to put the boat in the lake this weekend and try to run the A/C with it. I'll check back in and let you know how it does.

You are going to be VERY lucky if that powers an A/C... In fact, I highly doubt it will... Inverter generators are not good at running heavy startup loads like a big compressor motor. I've got a generac version of that generator which is actually slightly larger even, and it doesn't stand a chance at running the relatively small roof a/c unit in my RV.

(Edit: amazing how that works! no posts for hours, I click reply, and by the time I type out a response, Bama beats me to it!)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

please if you must run that on your boat at least have it on the swim platform... even then be really careful.......

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Won't know until you try, but agree that it probably won't work. My 27' has a Cruisair 7000 BTU reverse cycle AC. According to the specs, startup load is 18 amps. Ditto what smoke said about swim platform mounting.

Let us know how you make out.

agallant80

Commander

Well folks here is the update. I just got back from the lake. The generator fell over on its side in the bed of my truck. Nothing leaked out. I also was playing with it earlier today and noticed that it has a drain valve to let the fuel out of the carb. The gas smell that I was complaning about went away so perhaps I over filled it or spilled some when I filled it up. As for performance I could not be happier. It is very quiet so quiet what when in the canin with the door closed I could not hear it. I was able to power the AC and battery charger at the same time, when I tried to fire up the hot water heater it poped the overload breaker on the generator. So two of the three will work at the same time, AC, Hot Water, Battery Charger. All and all I think for $600 it is a great buy. By the way my AC is 7K BTU I tested both heat and AC today.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, how cool is that? Congrats!

BTW, do you know the make/model of the AC unit in your boat? I'd like to compare specs with mine. I've kicked the genny idea around for a long time, but always figured a 2000 watter wouldn't really do me much good. Maybe it would...

agallant80

Commander

I will have to look the next time I am on the boat. The sales manual says: Air Conditioning/Heat (110V/60HZ
7000 BTU)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That's what the Four Winns brochure says about mine, too. Could also be that being 16 years newer, yours is a more efficient design. Anyway, if you think of it I'd appreciate it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Impressed! Not sure what size my RV ac unit is, but it gives the 7.5kw onan a load when it starts up.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Impressed! Not sure what size my RV ac unit is, but it gives the 7.5kw onan a load when it starts up.

It will most likely be a 13,500 btu unit, some are 15,000, but those are the standard sizes for RV's.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The 13,500 a/c unit is the one that requires 2500 watts continuous. Most people would use a 3500 watt minimum, or two of the Honda 2000 watt units linked together.

I really like the looks of this Ryobi generator, and it's clean enough power to run electronics. But sometimes 2 such units need to be used, especially if using Coleman or Dometic roof type a/c units so popular on travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers and houseboats.

agallant80

Commander

Since I started this thread I figured I could update it. Don't know if that is within the rules or not but I did not want to start a new thread seeing as this one is a top hit on google.

After a season on the boat with this generator my opinion of it has changed.

1. Its loud, after sitting next to a boat with an eu2000i I wish I spent the $300 more on the honda
2. The pull cord broke, I had to take the thing apart to discover that the reel assambilly is plastic and stripped out
3. Every bolt on the thing is showing signs of rust.
4. It likes gas and lots of it.
5. Its heavy, to the tune of about 11lbs vs the Honda
6. its much larger than the Honda, 2 inches longer, 8 inches taller and, 3.5 inches wider

It still works but it will be going on craigslist and the funds will be used to correct the mistake and buy an eu2000i for next season. Do your self a favor if you are considering a generator and spend the $300 more on this. One other thing to take in to consideration is there are all types of kits out there for extended run tanks and venting the exhaust under water for the Honda.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any engine that is required to work at or near it's maximum rated load is going to suck gas. That includes your car, truck, boat, airplane, or weed whip. As is often said, a big engine loafing can use the same or less gas than a small engine working its guts out and last longer in the process.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Look at the Yamaha as well. Its just as good and quiet as a Honda and slightly cheaper.

82rude

Rear Admiral

Look at the Yamaha as well. Its just as good and quiet as a Honda and slightly cheaper.
yup id look at yammy before Honda myself ,their great,quite,frugel with gas and priced competitively.dont know if this is true or not but the local dealer that just opened up said the Honda has a life cycle of 3500hrs vs 5000 for the yammy.anybody I know that has a yammy loves them.