• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

Because I work from home, and its quiet today and I am having very bad boat ADD and the weather has been bad so all I can do is play with boat stuff not the actual boat I went out today and bought a Ryobi 2,200 Watt Generator at Home Depot. Fired it up on my porch and I was amazed how quiet it was. It got a bit nosy when I plugged the woman's hair dryer in to it and turned it on max but I think it will work fine to run the AC and battery charger and hot water heater (not all at the same time) I know of the dangers of having a generator on board. I do not plan on sleeping with it on. I have a C02 detector in the cockpit and two in the cabin. I am going to put the boat in the lake this weekend and try to run the A/C with it. I'll check back in and let you know how it does.
    2013 Bayliner 255CR
    5.0MPI S/N:2A044802
    http://seawenchnc.blogspot.com

Re: Just Bought Ryobi 2,200 Generator RYI2200

Please let us know how that genny works out. I have thought about buying one just wasn't sure about Ryobi.

Comment

Well first impression is it seams to be light weight and well constructed. It stinks of gas after turning it off. I took off the access pannels and cant find any leeks but its bad. I will tinker with it tonight.
      2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

I'll be surprised if Ryobi's 2200 watts will run any air conditioner. The wattage rated is 2200 watts at starting time, and continuous 1800 watts. I don't know what kind of air conditioner you're going to be running.

Many RV type air conditioners show a minimum 2500 watts continuous to run them.

Ryobi's website says, "this portable inverter is parallel-kit capable, so for larger power demands you can link two Ryobi Inverters together for twice the power."

You can buy two of the Ryobi generator units for the cost of one Honda generator. Buy two and the cable kit, and you're in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by agallant80 View Post
          I am going to put the boat in the lake this weekend and try to run the A/C with it. I'll check back in and let you know how it does.

You are going to be VERY lucky if that powers an A/C... In fact, I highly doubt it will... Inverter generators are not good at running heavy startup loads like a big compressor motor. I've got a generac version of that generator which is actually slightly larger even, and it doesn't stand a chance at running the relatively small roof a/c unit in my RV.

(Edit: amazing how that works! no posts for hours, I click reply, and by the time I type out a response, Bama beats me to it!)

Comment

please if you must run that on your boat at least have it on the swim platform... even then be really careful.......
            Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
            1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
            1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
            1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
            90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
            Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
            sigpic

Comment

Won't know until you try, but agree that it probably won't work. My 27' has a Cruisair 7000 BTU reverse cycle AC. According to the specs, startup load is 18 amps. Ditto what smoke said about swim platform mounting.

Let us know how you make out.
              John and Linda
              Escapade III
              1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
              Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 LX

Comment

Well folks here is the update. I just got back from the lake. The generator fell over on its side in the bed of my truck. Nothing leaked out. I also was playing with it earlier today and noticed that it has a drain valve to let the fuel out of the carb. The gas smell that I was complaning about went away so perhaps I over filled it or spilled some when I filled it up. As for performance I could not be happier. It is very quiet so quiet what when in the canin with the door closed I could not hear it. I was able to power the AC and battery charger at the same time, when I tried to fire up the hot water heater it poped the overload breaker on the generator. So two of the three will work at the same time, AC, Hot Water, Battery Charger. All and all I think for $600 it is a great buy. By the way my AC is 7K BTU I tested both heat and AC today.
                2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

Well, how cool is that? Congrats!

BTW, do you know the make/model of the AC unit in your boat? I'd like to compare specs with mine. I've kicked the genny idea around for a long time, but always figured a 2000 watter wouldn't really do me much good. Maybe it would...
                  John and Linda
                  Escapade III
                  Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 LX

Comment

I will have to look the next time I am on the boat. The sales manual says: Air Conditioning/Heat (110V/60HZ
                    7000 BTU)
                    2013 Bayliner 255CR

Comment

That's what the Four Winns brochure says about mine, too. Could also be that being 16 years newer, yours is a more efficient design. Anyway, if you think of it I'd appreciate it.
                      John and Linda
                      Escapade III
                      Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 LX

Comment

Impressed! Not sure what size my RV ac unit is, but it gives the 7.5kw onan a load when it starts up.

Comment

Originally posted by smokingcrater View Post
                          Impressed! Not sure what size my RV ac unit is, but it gives the 7.5kw onan a load when it starts up.
                          Is your gen set single or 3 phase?
                          home is where we drop anchor

Comment

Originally posted by smokingcrater View Post
                            It will most likely be a 13,500 btu unit, some are 15,000, but those are the standard sizes for RV's.

Comment

The 13,500 a/c unit is the one that requires 2500 watts continuous. Most people would use a 3500 watt minimum, or two of the Honda 2000 watt units linked together.

I really like the looks of this Ryobi generator, and it's clean enough power to run electronics. But sometimes 2 such units need to be used, especially if using Coleman or Dometic roof type a/c units so popular on travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers and houseboats.

Comment

Working...
                              X