This the place to talk tubes?

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If not, mods please move to the proper forum.

For those with little ones, what's your tow toy of choice? We have a pretty gregarious 5 year old who I am sure would get the hang of a hang-on inflatable, but not so sure about her relative age friends we'll be taking out this summer. Is a "sit in" tube a safer bet for the average kid this age? Of course, all will be wearing PFDs.

Looking to stock up on some winner toys and be a hero.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: This the place to talk tubes?

5 is old enough to ski - start them out right and they won't stay stuck sitting on a tube for the rest of their life.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, but what about her buds that are just along for a day of fun? Not sure we want to force them onto skis...

wolfe1974

Seaman

i have a 3 person airhead that you actually sit "in" it has pockets that are like bucket seats. it is very hard to flip so you can get on plane and not worry about them having to hang on.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UncleWillie

Captain

I have a Viper 1 Seater.
Viper1.jpg

There is a lot more to be said about the Cockpit Style Tube than is apparent.

I also have a classic Deck Tube that you lay on.
The deck style requires good upper-body strength to ride.
The flat position is not very comfortable for very long.
Try watch the TV lying on your stomach and see how long you last!
Some (very few) riders can 360 degree roll the deck tube over the wake. Most just dump!
The 15 to 25 year olds are macho enough to handle a deck tube for a while.
The rest of us are exhausted after 3-5 minutes.

Cockpit or Deck Tube; Neither one is steerable, you are just meat riding at the whim of the helmsman.

The cockpit Tubes can be ridden by anyone that can sit up.
A pair of four year old, or an adult and a young child can be given a gentle ride.
Holding on is optional, but they will anyways.
Keep the speed down and the turns wide and the very young (under 5) and the old (over 70) will get all the thrills they can handle.

A 200lb+ 6 foot adult can fit in one. Just cross your legs and lean back a little.
Or stick you feet over the bow!

This is not to say the ride is boring.
Get the speed up to about 25mph and take an aggressive turn;
The tube will cross outside of the wake and crack the whip.
You will need to back down on the throttle or the tube tends to pass the boat!
Even your fearless 18 year old macho males will be wide eyed and white face in fear.
Cross back over your wake and the tube will catch 6 feet of air or more. Super thrilling!

Attach a 5 foot piece of line to the tow hook and the kids will stand in the tube like they are stand up horse back riding.
Some even ride backward, sitting and standing!

On a 3 person cockpit tube, one would sit in the middle, two occupy the outer two, and three ....

I chose the single tube not only for the cost saving, but because these things are huge!
At 8 feet wide; the triple is likely wider than your boat!
I was also concerned for the safety of multiple riders who might be banging heads together when the tube dumped.

All these tubes need to be inflated to near 2.5 psi.
That is right at the maximum pressure that a young health human lung can muster.
You will need to inflate them mechanically before you leave the dock.
I keep mine deflated in the Ski locker.
A 12v DC High Pressure inflater pumps it up in a few minutes once we reach the cove.

Get a High Pressure Inflater, not the Low pressure one.
The tube needs to be inflated until all the wrinkles are out of the cover.
This means that the air bladder inside the cover is being stretched like an auto inner-tube.
The Towable will be hard enough to walk on without hardly a dent when properly inflated.
It will be way more pressure than you may be used to.

A Booster Ball is a good addition if you will be doing a lot of cracking the whip.
Otherwise the tow rope tends to get caught in the wake.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some good ideas above!! I think it's all about personal choice but......

first and foremost you need to think about what happens when a 5 year old falls off, they're all alone in lots of water, potentially with lots of other boats. Put an adult on there with them.

I had a capsule type that seems really hard for the kids to fall out of. My worry though was should it turn over, could they be trapped inside?? I destroyed the tube when I decided it was possible. It was a commercially made tube, don't remember exactly what brand. Probably not helping you narrow down the the search, but just giving you some things to think about. Hope I haven't offended....

UncleWillie

Captain

...first and foremost you need to think about what happens when a 5 year old falls off, they're all alone in lots of water, potentially with lots of other boats. Put an adult on there with them.

I had a capsule type that seems really hard for the kids to fall out of. My worry though was should it turn over, could they be trapped inside? ...

I understand your concerns, and no offense, but why would a 5 year old dumped out of a tube be in any more jeopardy that a 25 year old?
I suppose anything is possible. What were your thoughts on how you could get trapped inside of an over turned tube?

Everything involved in boating is relatively safe, but absolutely nothing about boating is absolutely safe.
If it was, it wouldn't be any fun!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

When the nieces were young, we had a 3 person "sit in" tube like this one. Probably a better bet for 5 y/o. You may want to upgrade in a few years though.

1st tube.jpg

That quickly became boring as they grew older. We now have a four person "lay down" tube that everyone (including us older farts) prefers. Even the dog gets in on the fun. The blue tube was an older one that blew a hole, not caused by the dog.

tube3.jpgtube4.jpgtube2a.jpgkodi-1.jpg

Just remember this, the driver is in total control of how calm, or radical the "ride" is. If they're young or hesitant, just go a little slower and don't try to throw them. As they get older and more confident, you can "let er rip".

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up one of these Sea-Doo Kahuna 4 Towable Tubes for my kids. Its designed for 4 adults to be sitting around the top perimeter of the tube, however.. for my kids, its been great, they can sit down inside, plenty safe.. and I managed to get it on sale at a local sports retailer.. $100 bucks after coupon, couldn't pass it up..
Its super stable, the only downside is getting back into it after you take a splash.. its a little deep/high off the water.

Attachments

• SDOK4.jpg
    SDOK4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 5 year old rode a deck style two person tube all of last summer. She loved it. I let her ride it alone in low traffic calm waters and she had to have an adult with her when we were on the river. She loves it, but there will be times when a child can be thrown off of a deck tube. It happens and is not a big deal just make sure that they are wearing a life jacket with a leg strap just to be safe. I'll will tell you though that we are updgrading to a sit down style tube this season. As mentioned above, the adults wear out quickly on a deck tube. I'm 30 years old and work out religiously, but the day after tubing with my daughter for multiple hours is a soreness that cannot be achieved through the gym.

UncleWillie

Captain

When you get tired of the Tube make a Ski Disk.
It is just a piece plywood cut into a 4 foot circle.
Decorate to taste!

An intermediate step to get the Kids on real Water Skis.

southkogs

Staff member

When you get tired of the Tube make a Ski Disk.
It is just a piece plywood cut into a 4 foot circle.
Decorate to taste!

An intermediate step to get the Kids on real Water Skis.
LOVE IT!! ... might be tryin' that one this year. (reminds me of our OLD paddle board)

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some good feedback here, glad I asked. I was looking at deck tubes, now changed my mind to cockpit style.

According to online reviews I've seen for the multi-person cockpit style, the common complaint seems to be that the nose will dig in at low speeds? Are they doing something wrong? Need a Booster Ball?

Or, we could just throw our aft cockpit table out there with a rope. Love the Disk Ski!

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some good feedback here, glad I asked. I was looking at deck tubes, now changed my mind to cockpit style.

According to online reviews I've seen for the multi-person cockpit style, the common complaint seems to be that the nose will dig in at low speeds? Are they doing something wrong? Need a Booster Ball?

Or, we could just throw our aft cockpit table out there with a rope. Love the Disk Ski!

They will all dig in if the weight is too forward. just make sure they lean back and get the tube up fast

UncleWillie

Captain

...According to on-line reviews I've seen for the multi-person cockpit style, the common complaint seems to be that the nose will dig in at low speeds? Are they doing something wrong? Need a Booster Ball?...

All the Towables have a greater tendency to dig in before they get on plane.
When the riders get too confident they lean forward more and the bow takes a dive.
Lean back until you get moving and it doesn't happen. It is all in the technique.
Even the Booster Ball digs in before it starts to skip. You can see it happen in the BB video.