lower unit gear oil whatcha think ???

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
gear oil 3-27-13 001.jpggear oil 3-27-13 003.jpggear oil 3-27-13 002.jpgok so this oil is from ooo oct or so changed it today ..no water came out first , but looks real dirty to me is this normal or do u think i need to look at maybe a seal job ??? I did preassure test it and didnt appear to be leaking anywhere but it does look a bit milky/brown to me not sure though thought i may get some suggestions/answers on here
seems to still have its thickness also !!!:confused:

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: lower unit gear oil whatcha think ???

looks ok to me. no water. just "used". were there any metal shavings?

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks ok to me. no water. just "used". were there any metal shavings?

ummmm ya know maybe some metallic lookn little itty bitty shavings like but if i remember rght last time i used this pan was with my old boat and it had shavings i beleive i cleaned it out thought cant remember no big shavings or peices though the thing in it is a bug that came by to say hi lol ....

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks fine as long as it is the non hi-perf stuff. Wrong color for the hi-perf

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

not hp just pennzoil 80-90 i believe !!!just wanted to make sure !!!im anal like that ....lol

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

would u reccomend using high per on this jsut cuz its old 65 merc 650 ????

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

For whats it worth, this looks almost identical to 75-90 Volvo Syn geal oil which I just added to my outdrive.

oldjeep

Admiral

would u reccomend using high per on this jsut cuz its old 65 merc 650 ????

Depends on what your drive is supposed to take. The high perf stuff that I am familiar with is for mercruiser alpha I/O, not sure if it would be appropriate for your drive.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on what your drive is supposed to take. The high perf stuff that I am familiar with is for mercruiser alpha I/O, not sure if it would be appropriate for your drive.

well its a merc not sure what type of drive on a o/b i would think its similiar to alpha one not positive though ????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That Pennsoil is just fine for your Merc. You have a standard gearcase on it.

BTW - Mercruiser Alpha drives can use the same stuff. Some swear by synthetic or hi-perf gear oil, but it is not really necessary, IMHO.

oldjeep

Admiral

That Pennsoil is just fine for your Merc. You have a standard gearcase on it.

BTW - Mercruiser Alpha drives can use the same stuff. Some swear by synthetic or hi-perf gear oil, but it is not really necessary, IMHO.

Merc says it is ;)

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

If that oil was in that long I'd run the new for about 25 hours and change again looking hard for metal and water. If you did not change the impeller that certainly needs done.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES I DID DO THE IMPELLAR ??? i will run a few times and check again thanks ....

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that oil was in that long I'd run the new for about 25 hours and change again looking hard for metal and water. If you did not change the impeller that certainly needs done.

ahhhha where at in nc r u ????

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I like to change my lower unit oil in the fall as I winterize. That way if there is water or I have a bad seal, I have all winter to fix, and the water wont freeze and crack the housing. In Michigan watching all the boaters that need all the maintenance done in the spring, is comical. They get mad when the mechanic's tell them 2 weeks, they get really backed up.
Your oil looks just fine, don't forget to replace the paper washer that seals the drain hole!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I like to change mine in Feb before all those that decide March is time to get the boat ready. I use my boat all year and 100 hr services can come at any time....