Tahoe deck boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boggs

Recruit
I've been looking for a boat big enough for the entire family with enough power for playing on the water. And room to relax . I saw the Tahoe 215xi at bass pro shops ... With 260 hp... Does anyone know about Tahoe boats.. Is the deck boat worth 40000$... ????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tahoe deck boats

I don't think anyone is making a bad boat these days but Tahoe is at the lower end. And I haven't been real impressed with some of things I've read about their service after the sale (admittedly anecdotal). If I were to buy a Tahoe, I'd try to find one at a boat dealer that wasn't BassPro.

cwarends

Cadet

Have you considered a pontoon boat. They come in all sizes and power. you can get the extreme with two 350HP outboards that will run 70MPH.
A typical pontoon is 20 to 25 feet with Motors in the 115 to 250 HP range that handle very nicely at speeds 25 to 45MPH depending on boat size and motor.
You can get a quality mid level boat for $40,000 and a upper level for $55,000

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well first, welcome aboard!!! Second we LOVE to spend other guy's money here. Let's get a few things out of the way first.

How many family members? What water conditions? Where you gonna boat? Describe a typical day that you imagine. This will help us focus for you. Indeed a pontoon may be good, but not if you are serious about water sports or planning any trips in bigger water. Just stuff we need to understand or we will all say "Have you seen my boat? That's what you have to have!!!" ;)

Oh, oh, experience?

briangcc

Commander

My first question would be...what do you plan on towing it with? That greatly influences your purchase unless you plan on leaving it in the water and have a marina haul it out for you at the end of the season, then this is a moot question. If you plan on towing this purchase, you're probably into larger SUV and full size pickup territory. A mid sized SUV might handle the load for a while but you'll more than likely be at the extreme upper end of your tow rating (if not exceeded). **Remember to include about 1000 lbs for the trailer on this beast as its not included in the weight rating provided by the manufacturer.

Since you're looking at the 215 with 260HP that's a 21'6" boat going off current model specs. That's close to what I have currently - 19'6" with 270HP. You'll be happy with the power and be able to pull a couple tubes with a decent load on board, or at least I am. I top out around 50+MPH so if that's good for you, you should be golden.

You might also want to look at bow riders as you'll get a full windshield which is nice in foul weather (rain/cold/wind).

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i have a tahoe q4 purchased it at my local marina brand new. love it and the service i get and i will get another tahoe but bigger and more powerful
if you like the styling of the boat then you wont be dissapointed with the perfomance

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Tahoe 216wt and it works fine. It is the same hull as the one you are looking along with the 260 hp motor at but has the full windshield. I have not had any problems with it and put 70 hrs. on it last summer. I switched to a deck boat and do not regret it one bit. The interior of it works great for adults and kids. I like not having carpet to worry about when fish or food goes on the floor. The radio that comes with it works great. It pulls tubes, wakeboards, kneeboards, etc. with no problems. I can say that it has the best front platform of any deckboat boat on the market period. The front platfrom has plenty of room for fishing or swimming. The front platform is probably my favorite feature on the boat especially when boarding at the local dock. Check it out I sure like mine.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love my Tahoe and have no issues with it. My 21' Q7i bowrider will haul 6 adults and all our crap and still pull kneeboard, skis, or tube with no problem. Load plate says 9 but anything over 6 would be a crowd.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just reading about previous issues (like the link to the thread posted above as an example) is enough to make me NEVER buy ANYTHING Tahoe boat related. I would rather have a 10 year old used boat than a new Tahoe any day of the week. Not to say that there aren't happy Tahoe boat owners out there, a buddy of mine has one, no issues.. but with all the quality and construction issues that Tahoe owners have encountered AND the way the MFG has dealt with these issues really puts me off..

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those Yammies are bada**. We made some friends on Lake Mead last year that own one of those Yammie 21 footers.. Checked that thing out from top to bottom, really nice.. Until his chick started it up, put it in gear, and sucked 50' of rope up before they knew what happened. Not the boat's fault however! :)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Just my opinion but for that amount of money you could probably find alot more boat for alot less if you considered buying a good , well cared for used boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well he hasn't been back in two days. Maybe he bought "someone else's headache". Dunno.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tahoe may not be too bad, I've never owned one. I've heard a lot of stories. If even some of them are true I wouldn't buy one. If I had $40,000 to spend it wouldn't be on a Tahoe, Bayliner, or Stingray. Not that there's anything wrong with them but that's the low end of the market. $40,000 will buy a very nice boat from just about any manufacturer.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

how is tahoe low end explain this to me because i dont see it
if it is because tahoes are new to the scene that is not justified
i am very satisfied with my tahoe and customer service
and i love the styling and full swim platform that comes standard

littlerayray

Lieutenant

my tahoe also came with bimini top custom tarp and trailer so for the price i think its worth it and the plastic floor is what i wanted and it is easy to keep clean

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't get your feelings hurt because others don't like your brand of boat. Just be happy you got something you like and saved some money doing it :) I had a Tahoe and bought another one because I liked it so much. I got twice the boat for what I spent than what I could have gotten in another brand so I am very pro Tahoe and don't pay any attention to the Tahoe haters.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get a really, really nice used boat for $30,000 and bank $10,000. I bought a five year-old deckboat six years ago. It was well cared for and low time. I have no regrets and saved $15,000.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Read nearly all of that thread and hard to believe BPS and Tahoe had such terrible customer service. Years ago I bought a boat one summer that developed a hull crack. The company was taken private and the new owner replaced the hull even though it was not his responsibility. Now I own an EdgeWater 205EX. An EdgeWater boat comes with a lifetime hull warranty- granted a 20 1/2' boat will run over $60K but in some cases you do get what you pay for. Their CS is beyond expectations too. A great family owned company. Would only continue to buy from them.

I don't know much about them personally but this experience might be a good read for you: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...inger-pushing-through-bottom-boat-235489.html

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Boggs,

Check into the Tahoe boats and make your own decision. I like mine as do others. There will always be the people who don't like them or have had a bad experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.