1975 Chrysler 25 HP. Seeking opinions

I have been looking for a larger motor for my 16 foot Landau flat bottom. I found a guy maybe willing to let me trade a 1976 Johnson 6 HP for it. He was asking $450. Would this be a pretty fair trade for me? My credit is bad and I was recently turned down by Honda, as I am going thru a divorce. I don't see much information about these motors as I've googled it. I realize parts may be hard to find. I have read the history on Chrysler Marine. Seems like it is a pretty simple motor to work on. Are there any major problems with them that I should know about or whatnot. Thank you for your time.

Hal

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Chrysler 25 HP. Seeking opinions

Okay are you trading a 1976 Johnson 6 HP for some other engine or what. I don't understand what motor you are talking about...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If you don;t have much money, I wouldn't get a almost 40 year old motor you don;t know and especially not a Chrysler. OMC or nothing

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you don;t have much money, I wouldn't get a almost 40 year old motor you don;t know and especially not a Chrysler. OMC or nothing

+1. Back then Chrysler built a very simple and reliable engine, I had two in the '70 year models but they are gone bye bye and didn't sell all that many anyway. OMC is your best bet as a lot were sold, I must have had 10 of varying sizes, meaning there is a large parts following and they were very reliable. Your two main problems with old engines is finding repair parts (they WILL require repairs) and fighting corrosion, saltwater use especially.

HTH,
Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The smaller Chrysler engines (under 50 HP) were reasonably reliable. However, understand that if you should damage a piston or rings, there are NO parts available. Believe me: I bought the last two in the united States. The engines were mostly magneto ignition. Coils, points and condensers are available. Carbs are dirt simple and usually a cleaning is all they need but if necessary some parts like floats and inlet needles are available. In fact, the gaskets floats, and inlet needles/seats are the same as most other Chrysler carbs. So, you can mix and match parts.

You can still find the odd prop on ebay.

If it runs well and looks clean, then yes, it is a reasonable trade. The real question is: Do you really want to do it?

Okay are you trading a 1976 Johnson 6 HP for some other engine or what. I don't understand what motor you are talking about...

I was thinking about trading my '76 Johnson 6 for the Chrysler with no money out of my pocket. He also has a Mercury 9.8 and a Johnson 15, but was wanting more motor so that is why I was looking at the Chrysler 25 HP.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As you've probably figured out from this thread already, there just isn't good parts support for Chryslers. You can't even buy PROPS! I'd pass on it.

OMC stands for Outboard Marine Corp which made Johnson and Evinrude motors. They are also out of business but Bombardier bought them out and has continued to maintain pretty good parts support for Johnson/Evinrude. What year is his Johnson 15? That could be a good motor for you and will beat the pants off your 6.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I too would stay away from the Chrysler. Not to long ago some one gave me a 35hp Chrysler that had a broken lower unit on it. I searched for almost 3 years for a replacement and never found one.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Wow, thanks for all the replys. What does OMC stand for?

Outboard Marine Corporation. Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors, OMC sterndrives. The 'Johnnyrudes' were always essentially identical motors and either brand in good condition is a good choice.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Oops! Sorry, EZ- missed your reply to the OP.