Floor Mat alternative?

D44boy

Cadet
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion or good idea for a floor mat in my boat. I know some use carpet, and I have seen people use rubber anti-fatigue mats which I like, but anyone know a cheaper alternative? Not necessarily for grip or comfort, but more for protection of floor. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Re: Floor Mat alternative?

what about a chunk of outdoor carpet that you can remove

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I place a piece of rubber backed indoor/outdoor carpet on top of the marine carpet in my boat. When it gets dirty,I lay it in the driveway and hose it off. The original marine carpet is as clean and new looking as it was the day I bought the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

carpet doesn't belong in a boat.

Use mats if they have a function--keeping a dry surface, comfort to feet, height (I have one so my wife can see better when she drives standing up).

We have the first year model carolina skiff and it's deck is flat with no bilge well (since modified) so there is always a little water on the deck, so we made flooring out of 1x4 pressure treated wood slats on 1x2 joists, removable sections, about an inch gap between boards. But it's a hunting fishing crabbing work kinda boat.

but what's the point in "protecting" the floor (deck)? It's there to walk on and hose off at the end of the day.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

D44,

What type of boat / floor do you have, glass or wood ?

I am coming up on resolving same question as yours and am thinking of 3 options:

1) Snap in carpeting. see jasoutside thread in restorations on his Sean Nymph restore. Nice job, cost not so bad.

2) Snap together mats. Colbyt suggestion looks interesting. Certainly inexpensive...should have know HF would have something. Check out the reviews though as one fellow dropped a beer and when he came back to clean it up the mat slipped out from under him... hmmm

3) I have plywood deck, sealed with epoxy and then will top coat with non-slip paint so may just leave it that way.

Having redone complete deck which was mush, I know any penetration into ply has to be sealed as that is where moisture gets in. but banging an anchor, coolers, gear, around I am concerned about unnoticed bruise to deck and mostire getting in so the mat idea would work well. Should be relatively easy to clean up with hose and remove if needed.

Good luck, will watch for what you end up doing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is absolutely nothing wrong with carpet in a boat unless one is an absolute slob and takes no pride in the vessel. Kids that slop stuff all over can screw up carpet as well. That situation is easily handled by having kids SIT. It may be a struggle but I've had dogs that are better behaved than some kids and a good number of adults. If carpet gets wet, leave the cover off and the sun will dry it out in short order. Vacuum after use and use a carpet cleaner to immediately clean up a mess. Non carpeted floors can be very hot and slippery on bare/wet feet. Leave a boat stored outside where dust, leaves, and other debris land in it and not only the carpet is destroyed but so will the floor and stringer on boats with wood in those areas. An ex son-in-law turned an eight year old boat in perfect condition in every regard, into a piece of garbage in one season of neglect. You can buy outdoor carpet runner by the foot at any big box home improvement store.

ziggy

Admiral

how big of throw mat do ya want.
i use something like Colbyt linked too.
IMG_5264.jpg

usually my mat is in ft. of the dog house but i do move it around as i see fit.
don't really know why i have it in there. but i do use it and move it around for various reasons.