Hot water heater supply from block

agallant80

Commander
I noticed the other day that my hot water heater does have an inlet and outlet for heating the fresh water from the block. I found the link below on google. It looks like from the attached directions I can put a fitting in at the top of the thermostat housing where the blue drain plug goes. Is that correct? It also looks like the return hose should be hooked up on the right side of the motor splicing in to the hose that goes from the water pump on the block to the thermostat houseing? Is this correct?

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...umb-water-heater-mercruiser-5-7-a-491306.html

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hot water heater supply from block

That thread is from 2011 so I can not say for certain if the 2013 exit/entry points are exactly the same.
Probably should find a current diagram for your brand new set up or even visit the Bayliner dealer where you bought the boat and see what they can tell you or show you a boat that has it already hooked up.

You'll want to make sure you use reinforced hose making those connections and in my case, there is some corrugated flex tubing shielding the hoses going around the sides and back of the engine.

Mark

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I noticed the other day that my hot water heater does have an inlet and outlet for heating the fresh water from the block. I found the link below on google. It looks like from the attached directions I can put a fitting in at the top of the thermostat housing where the blue drain plug goes. Is that correct? It also looks like the return hose should be hooked up on the right side of the motor splicing in to the hose that goes from the water pump on the block to the thermostat houseing? Is this correct?

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...umb-water-heater-mercruiser-5-7-a-491306.html

Ayuh,... Generally speakin', the hot water is pulled outa the intake manifold, before the t-stat, 'n returned to the circulatin' water pump housing...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is from a 2011 application manual. It doesn't show the fitting, but I would bet if you look at your engine you will see the ports the drawings show.

Heater location.jpg

agallant80

Commander

Ok so the return goes down by the water pump that is attached to the block (not the raw water pump that sucks from the outdrive). As for the source (hot water) that comes from the thermostat housing? I can't really tell what A is pointing to.

Don S

Ok so the return goes down by the water pump that is attached to the block (not the raw water pump that sucks from the outdrive). As for the source (hot water) that comes from the thermostat housing? I can't really tell what A is pointing to.

That's why I said look at your engine. There is probably a plug in that area they didn't draw in the line drawing. LOOK at your manifold.

agallant80

Commander

You say manifolds but the photo is pointing to the thermostat housing. Am I missing something? Sorry for all of the questions.

Don S

Look on the lower intake manifold for a pipe plug in the coolant runner. The drawing was meant for techs with the engine in front of them, it's not even in a service manual. I also can't see your engine. Might post a picture of the intake between the tstat housing and the valve cover if you can't figure it out. You do have a closed cooling system don't you? That is what the picture is for.

Bondo

Staff member

I have raw water coolin no closed system.

Ayuh,.... Somewhere on the Intake manifold, Before the T-stat should be a 1/2" pipe plug,....

That's the hot water feed....

Somewhere on the Circulatin' water pump(bolted to the front of the block) is another 1/2" pipe plug,...

That's the return...